Which HP Envy out of the two listed below should I choose: 14 or 15 (x360)?

anon(9668900)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I've essentially decided to get one of these two HP Envies for myself. I'm not sure which one I should choose. I need these to be multipurpose - engineering software (not too heavy), videos, perhaps some gaming, browsing, etc., etc. I've been through everything else that's available in my country, and I'm not satisfied with anything else.

1. HP Envy 14: i5-6200U + 12GB RAM + 1 TB HDD + 4GB NVIDIA 950M

Plus points: 12GB RAM, 4GB Graphics card, slightly smaller size, theoretically better speakers.

Minus: Big bezels?, No numeric keypad (which I use always), No touch

2. HP Envy 15 x360: i5-6200U + 8GB RAM + 1TB HDD + 2GB NVIDIA 930M

Plus points: Touch & Swivel, IPS Display, full keyboard with the numeric pad, Slightly cheaper (by ₹4200 / $63 / ?42)

Minus: Lesser RAM and Graphics, slightly inferior speakers, quite big (a bit larger than my current dv6 15.6" laptop!)

Problem with both: No SSD, no customization offered, installing SSD apparently voids warranty. -_- Apart from that, none. I wanted the Lenovo TPY 460, but that's not available (it has a similar spec to the Envy 15 above, but with a 14 inch size, a pro pen and a digitizer - good products never come to India because tax).

The question here is, should I simply get the HP Envy 14? I'd be keeping it for a few years (perhaps even 3 or 4). I don't know how much I'll use the touch-screen and the swivel features, plus, more stuff means more chance of failure. However, the 15 has a full keyboard I simply adore, and not to mention all the touch stuff.

I also have a 3rd option, but that's at the moment a second priority:
Lenovo Yoga 3 (14): i7-5500U + 8GB RAM + 256GB SSD + 2GB NVIDIA something

Plus: SSD, Small form-factor, touch and swivel, SSD, slightly more powerful processor

Minus: Older processor, brightness issue (I hear)?, Build quality issues (I hear?), no numeric keypad, no windows hello (fingerprint reader on the others), more expensive than the other two by ₹5000+ ($74 / ?51), and generally doesn't impress me that much.

So, Envy 14 or 15? Or should I really get the Yoga? The main thing that drives me to the 15 (x360) is the numeric keypad I always use, and the touch modes. But the 14 has the extra RAM and the 950M...

Someone help!

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Get the 15 since it has the bigger screen which is always welcome for engineering programs as well as watching videos. The lesser graphics will not hurt the general running. 8GB RAM is enough or almost all engineering applications and since you've said not too heavy apps, then this is the one you should choose

anon(9668900)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Originally posted by Chintan Gohel
Get the 15 since it has the bigger screen which is always welcome for engineering programs as well as watching videos. The lesser graphics will not hurt the general running. 8GB RAM is enough or almost all engineering applications and since you've said not too heavy apps, then this is the one you should choose

I'd like to hear then about the reliability of the touch and swivel on the new Envy x360s.

Closingracer

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site

Honestly I would go with the 14 because of the extra RAM and better GPU. I find Windows devices vs Macs the windows devices can be more sluggish with 8GB of RAM specially if you love having tabs open. Currently one Tab (This website) with the Microsoft edge browser it is currently using 1GB of RAM.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes