Partition Suggestions For 1Tb?

cameron73

Jun 9, 2016
Visit site
Partition Suggestions For 1Tb

Hello,
I have just picked up a slightly used HP Pavillion with one Terabyte of hard disk. I wiped it and upgraded to Win 10. I've never actually seen a Terabyte before and it seems so vast.....
As it stands now i have two partitions.
Windows (C:) with 852 gb free
Recovery (D:)
I've created a recovery drive but don't know if it was neccesary.
I know I can pretty much cut up the space however I want but was looking for some logical suggestions from experienced users. Thanks for reading.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: Partition Suggestions For 1Tb

Typical installation is:

200GB for OS and programs (this appears to be optimal size from a speed perspective)
Rest for storage
Recovery if you want

However, you don't need to this as there is nothing wrong with using the full 1TB.

VigneshB

Jun 5, 2016
Visit site

I've seen people running Windows on 120GB drive too without difficulties. But, Windows tends to grow in size with updates.
What I generally suggest is to go double the size you'll need with all your programs installed.
You can also create one single partition for all your data or even split it up as you desire amongst say music, photos, videos etc.
One single partition for everything is fine, but in case you need to re-install the OS, you would need to copy all your personal data back again too.
200GB for OS and programs (this appears to be optimal size from a speed perspective)
Care to elaborate? Is it something related to accessing nearby sectors faster or something like that?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I've seen people running Windows on 120GB drive too without difficulties. But, Windows tends to grow in size with updates.
What I generally suggest is to go double the size you'll need with all your programs installed.
You can also create one single partition for all your data or even split it up as you desire amongst say music, photos, videos etc.
One single partition for everything is fine, but in case you need to re-install the OS, you would need to copy all your personal data back again too.

Care to elaborate? Is it something related to accessing nearby sectors faster or something like that?

It's known as short stroking - How to Short-Stroke a Hard Drive

General optimization is 10 - 15% of hard drive but 20% is fine as well.

cameron73

Jun 9, 2016
Visit site
Thank you all very much, I apologize, but life called me away yesterday. Great information. I guess my intent was to keep everything from being lost in a huge space. Like the end of Raiders of the lost Ark. However, after looking I may consider installing Linux as dual boot. If I use the Native disk management shrink space, I can only split the partition in half. I'm unsure if a third party tool as such can be trusted.

Thanks again,
Cheers

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb