Still haven't recieved Win 10 Mobile upgrade from my carrier

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I have a Lumia 1520 with the latest and greatest updates for Win 8.1; I also have the Upgrade Advisor app and it says that I'm ready to go for the upgrade. But still to this day I have yet to receive any notification from my carrier stating that I can start upgrading my phone. Is there anybody else out there waiting for their upgrade? I have the impression that the majority on here have already received their upgrades.

I have reached out to my carrier (Straight Talk - gsm signal) and they were of no use, couldn't disclose if they were going to provide or not provide an update.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Straight Talk has nothing to do with it. They never branded a 1520. It goes to the carrier name on the phone no matter what service you use it with... Likely you have the ATT model?

Reprinting this from an adjacent thread:

Since your phone is on the eligible list, rather than waiting for carrier approval (branded phones) use Insider on the Release Ring... The same version is fetched as the recent public Upgrade received by these phones (10.0.10586.xxx): Phones Eligible for Windows 10 Mobile Official.

After the Upgrade, you may use Insider and select Production to un-enroll your phone from Insider, but at least you have W10M. WaaS (Windows as a Service) will deliver future updates within Threshold to you without any Insider access required.

Or go Insider and stay on the Release ring you get the next public version early as Release ring in effect is the RTM. This will deliver the most stable Redstone builds to you earlier than OTA push with minimal risk.

Check out this thread: Windows Insider Testing and You [Recommended Guidelines]

For right now, Windows Device Recovery Tool is only flashing 8.1 to models that did not launch with 10 so it is the way to revert if you don't care for W10M: How can I recover/reset/restore my phone software?

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

jr1000

Jun 15, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the help, I have thought about trying out the insider to upgrade but never pulled the trigger. My main concern is, I got the impression that it does too much tracking on my phone. Granted - that is the whole point of joining Windows Insider in helping to beta test.

idk, I read the privacy policy and made me feel uneasy. But maybe I'm paranoid?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
But maybe I'm paranoid?

Maybe, maybe not. These things are personal.

The way I look at it, they are collecting telemetry to make the product better. What they pull along with that doesn't bother me. I mean if you look at any Cloud-centric OS these days (so all current ones) they are pretty much the same. I trust Microsoft more than some others with my personal details they gather.

But you could go Insider Release, get the upgrade then go Insider Production which drops you out of Insider. Reset your phone and bingo-bongo-bango. No additional Insider telemetry is being collected off your phone.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the help, I have thought about trying out the insider to upgrade but never pulled the trigger. My main concern is, I got the impression that it does too much tracking on my phone. Granted - that is the whole point of joining Windows Insider in helping to beta test.

idk, I read the privacy policy and made me feel uneasy. But maybe I'm paranoid?

after you've upgraded to W10M, you can unenroll from insider and switch to production release. This will also reduce the amount of feedback you send so less data is sent

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos