Why can't I open my files on my PC?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

My Pc won't open my files. The default program to open is Windows Picture Viewer (this is on Windows 10). All of the files are *.JPGs. I could almost suspect mass file corruption as I used to be able to open them all no problem. When I try to open them now, I get an error message "Windows Photo Viewer can't open this picture because either Photo Viewer doesn't support this file format, or you don't have the latest updates to Photo Viewer". In Paint, the error message "not a valid Bitmap file" comes up, and in Paint.Net, the message "there was an error opening the file" appears.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
My Pc won't open my files. The default program to open is Windows Picture Viewer (this is on Windows 10). All of the files are *.JPGs. I could almost suspect mass file corruption as I used to be able to open them all no problem. When I try to open them now, I get an error message "Windows Photo Viewer can't open this picture because either Photo Viewer doesn't support this file format, or you don't have the latest updates to Photo Viewer". In Paint, the error message "not a valid Bitmap file" comes up, and in Paint.Net, the message "there was an error opening the file" appears.

what about using photos app?

Try running this scan: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon