Is Mega a good cloud storage system for our business needs?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

We're a small materials manufacturing startup with 4 people. Our cloud storage requirements are around 20 GB, mainly for documents, data and images. And of course being a startup, we want to keep costs as low as possible. To back up our company data, we've created a company Gmail account mainly to use the 15 GB of free Google Drive space, but syncing efficiently is an issue since we all have Google Drive already linked to our personal Gmail addresses too and we found Google Drive does not allow syncing to 2 accounts simultaneously. Other services (Dropbox, Box, One Drive) only provide 5-15 GB of space for free so they're not much of an improvement over Google Drive.

We recently came across Mega, which offers 50 GB of free space and seems to have a reasonably good, user-friendly interface. We're OK with the primary requirement that we need keep our passwords very secure, since Mega can't help us if we lose or forget them. We just wanted some inputs on whether small businesses like ours are using Mega and how they're finding it.

Thanks!

Demian Mioc

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Don't use it, I've read some time ago about them experiencing some hostile takeover by a shady Chinese firm. I'd trust them for keeping irrelevant photos, but not sensible info and data such as passwords and company stuff.
I'd suggest you to try other options or pay small fee for one of the cloud giants, Google Drive, Dropbox, Box or One Drive.
You can try some ad suported clouds such as Hive(unlimited with some restrictions), ADrive(50GB), etc.
Or you could continue using Mega, but research further about it, read articles and news, and make your decision.

Hope it helps!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I use it for storing media and such.

I suppose you can use it but I don't know how much I trust the people and encryption behind it.

But you can always add your own encryption on top of it. Cryptomator is one such potential solution.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss