Is my new Microsoft Surface Pro 4 Windows 10 machine compatible with a Dell E2414H monitor?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I just bought a new monitor a couple months ago and then decided to upgrade to a Surface Pro 4. I just received it and found that the Dell website only shows Windows updates through Windows 7

Will the Windows 7 driver work with my Windows 10 machine? Please help!

Thanks
Jenn

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I just bought a new monitor a couple months ago and then decided to upgrade to a Surface Pro 4. I just received it and found that the Dell website only shows Windows updates through Windows 7

Will the Windows 7 driver work with my Windows 10 machine? Please help!

Thanks
Jenn

Hi Jenn - Thanks for the question. It should work just fine with the appropriate adapter. Here's an article that might be helpful for you. It's specifically about the Surface Book, but the adapter information is the same between the two devices.

How to connect a Surface Book to an external display | Windows Central

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

cybersnafu

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the reply!!

So I do currently have an adapter but it's a J5 Create VGA to USB. I'm going to guess you'll tell me that a USB connection won't work as I have it plugged in to my docking station and my Surface doesn't acknowledge that a monitor is connected. Just thought I'd double check that the USB is the problem.

Thanks
Jenn

BluWarrior

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
Id guess USB is the issue, or a docking station isn't designed to support monitors. I have a very old dell monitor (last driver update was for vista which is less like 10 than windows 7 is) and it runs perfectly on 10.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to guess you'll tell me that a USB connection won't work as I have it plugged in to my docking station and my Surface doesn't acknowledge that a monitor is connected.

Right. the Surface Pro 4 has Mini Display outputs. So look at the kind of adapters you need to go from the mini display ports to what your monitor uses. Probably DVI?

I was wondering if you knew if the device would be compatible with this type of monitor?

Should be fine. Just need the right adapter.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo