Transfer all data from Nokia 1020 to Nokia 1020

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Thank you for assisting here. I've had the Nokia Lumia 1020 US Version for many years now, it works even with a cracked screen but I love the features so much so I purchased another Nokia Lumia 1020 (exact specs). Since ATT no longer carries the phone they cannot assist in the transfer.
How do I (besides backing up on the SIM card) transfer all data (texts, contacts, photos) to my new Nokia 1020. Seems like it would be easy I've tried many basics and followed the transfer data apps but nothing seems to be working. Help please. thanks :)

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Your contacts and photos are in the cloud, if you have allowed for OneDrive to backup your photos. Contacts are in the cloud regardless, because that is associated with the MS account. The thing with backing up texts is that when you set it to backup, it's not something that will happen instantly. It's advised to set it to back up and then try to restore from a backup on the new 1020 a few days later.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for assisting here. I've had the Nokia Lumia 1020 US Version for many years now, it works even with a cracked screen but I love the features so much so I purchased another Nokia Lumia 1020 (exact specs). Since ATT no longer carries the phone they cannot assist in the transfer.
How do I (besides backing up on the SIM card) transfer all data (texts, contacts, photos) to my new Nokia 1020. Seems like it would be easy I've tried many basics and followed the transfer data apps but nothing seems to be working. Help please. thanks :)

for photos and other files, you can simply copy them over using a pc and USB cables
for sms and contacts, make sure that backup is on and when you move to the new phone, you set it up with the same email account
for apps, on the new phone, you can check in my downloads and install the ones you want

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

WJ1020

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
Thanks. I waited a few days on the old lumia and tried to transfer again using the Transfer my data app but texts are still not moving over to new phone. I was able to access my MS live account, is there an easy way to transfer out of PC to new Lumia 1020?

WJ1020

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the response. Joined the Windows Forum site for Q&A. Any apps that make the transfer easy from old lumia 1020 to new 1020. I was able to access MS Live account, besides plugging in usb cord from PC to new Lumia 1020, is there an easier route to get all texts, contacts, e-mails etc. to the new phone. Thanks for the step by step :)

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
When you set up the new 1020, did you restore from a backup or did you start fresh? The only way to get texts is by restoring from a backup or else you will be waiting for them to populate.

Also emails are in the cloud, just make sure you are using the same MS account, as Chintan said above.

BluWarrior

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
Thanks. I waited a few days on the old lumia and tried to transfer again using the Transfer my data app but texts are still not moving over to new phone. I was able to access my MS live account, is there an easy way to transfer out of PC to new Lumia 1020?

You don't need a PC for texts, just for media if you don't use onedrive. On your old device turn on apps and settings and text messaging backup (in backup settings) and manually backup apps+settings, and wait for texts to sync (wait an hour probably) Then reset your new device and once you sign into your ms account during set up it will ask if you want to restore from backup, all your apps and texts will be where they are now (although some apps may not as they may have been taken off the store) (some apps may loose data).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills