Movies & TV/ Microsoft Edge

BataBole

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
1. Why is there no sound in Movies & TV app when playing Blu-ray 1080p movies? Some codec issues or what? I used VLC for movies but that app decreases the video quality and subtitles get blurry; CCplayer app which also has sound issues and MoliPlayer which crashes a lot on my Lumia 930.

2. Edge can't/won't sync my Favorites tab with Edge on desktop even if syncing is turned on. What should I do?

BataBole

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
On point 2, make sure that Sync is on, on both devices, I was surprised which way round this works (Not the way I originally thought).

As I said Sync is turned On on both devices, in settings and in Edge browser but it just does not work. I tried switching it off and on multiple times, rebooting devices but no help...

I miss IE..

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
1. Why is there no sound in Movies & TV app when playing Blu-ray 1080p movies? Some codec issues or what? I used VLC for movies but that app decreases the video quality and subtitles get blurry; CCplayer app which also has sound issues and MoliPlayer which crashes a lot on my Lumia 930.

2. Edge can't/won't sync my Favorites tab with Edge on desktop even if syncing is turned on. What should I do?

you have the latest app updates? What OS version are you on?

BataBole

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
hmmm, and I'm sure you can play songs alright....
are the movies being played by streaming them or from a local copy?

Yes, I can play songs. Groove music works just fine. I play movies from local copy. Films & TV app can play every video normally except those of Blu-ray 1080p quality where sound disappears. It's like I watch muted video but it's not muted it just won't play audio.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I can play songs. Groove music works just fine. I play movies from local copy. Films & TV app can play every video normally except those of Blu-ray 1080p quality where sound disappears. It's like I watch muted video but it's not muted it just won't play audio.

maybe the quality is too high to be played - which format? MP4 or ...

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
MP4 plays fine, with both audio and video. Blu-ray comes usually with MKV format which fails to deliver audio. I thought Windows 10 would support a lot more file formats than 8.1..but it's not which is shame..

I play MKV's fine in movies & TV on desktop.

You may just have some corruption somewhere if your syncing doesn't work.

As far as desktop goes VLC player shouldn't blur, that's not normal. Look in the settings maybe you changed something as it has so many customization options. This is the Win32 executable binary. The store one is beta. But if you get the win32 executable binary I think it may install codec packs. Possible MS doesn't provide support out of the box for containers that are typically not used in digital stores but more in the piracy scene. It's not a bluray format, simply a container used by blurays encoded using h264/x264 and an audio stream. I've never tried it on the phone though. Wonder if VLC on phone supports it. hmmm

BataBole

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
I play MKV's fine in movies & TV on desktop.

You may just have some corruption somewhere if your syncing doesn't work.

As far as desktop goes VLC player shouldn't blur, that's not normal. Look in the settings maybe you changed something as it has so many customization options. This is the Win32 executable binary. The store one is beta. But if you get the win32 executable binary I think it may install codec packs. Possible MS doesn't provide support out of the box for containers that are typically not used in digital stores but more in the piracy scene. It's not a bluray format, simply a container used by blurays encoded using h264/x264 and an audio stream. I've never tried it on the phone though. Wonder if VLC on phone supports it. hmmm

There's no blur effect on desktop VLC Win32 app for me also, it appears only on their mobile app. I bought movies from our local store, they're Blu-ray 1080p MKV.h264/x264 videos. I didn't downloaded them from torrents.

Movies and TV app won't play audio for h264/x264..you only get video. Same for desktop and mobile app.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
MKV is not really a format, it is a container and a very broad one at that. Check the format of the audio tracks within the MKV container. Are they using a supported codec? Sometimes you'll find that they are using some Apple codec or some such. Try changing the audio codec you use when you archive your BluRays in the first place. There are many that Windows does support. If you have a lot of old ones, you could transcode but you will get batter results if you go back to your original disc for a new rip.

BataBole

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
There was a recent article about MS losing support for some codecs: How to fix the webcam freezing issue on the Windows 10 Anniversary Update | Windows Central

Specifically this message:

That's just the subsystem that streams the camera video. It used to be that an app would have a lock on the camera and now with this new method you can have multiple apps using it. That new system they build doesn't support it but it will. The fact he can play the video means that it's fine.

There's no blur effect on desktop VLC Win32 app for me also, it appears only on their mobile app. I bought movies from our local store, they're Blu-ray 1080p MKV.h264/x264 videos. I didn't downloaded them from torrents.

Movies and TV app won't play audio for h264/x264..you only get video. Same for desktop and mobile app.

I get what you are saying. What I'm saying is that bluray movies come on disk not using an mkv container. I have never heard of that used by the motion picture industry. Most digital copies that come with the disc use the mp4 container. This makes them compatible with itunes etc..

Anyways go into vlc media player then at the top select tools and then codec information. It should tell you what audio codec it's using.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3