Bit Locker is not unlocking a drive even with correct Recovery Key.

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Problem: My windows ran into some network driver issues because of which I had to reinstall OS. There is one drive on separate internal harddisk (NON OS Disk) which is Bit Locker Encrypted because it has some sensitive data. Now after reinstalling the OS it does not open anymore, even when I use the correct Recovery Key. Please note that there is no change of using wrong key as the drive label matches and I have only one encrypted drive.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Kalyana J

Aug 28, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the info Joe, but unfortunately this is not the same issue. I have just installed Windows 10 and its still not updated. Current its Version 10.0 (Build 10240) and their issue is when system goes into sleep, this is no such issue. It just says my recovery key is wrong while the drive label matches. I don't know how this can happen when the recovery key I am using is what it saved into a portable drive prior to the OS reinstall.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the info Joe, but unfortunately this is not the same issue. I have just installed Windows 10 and its still not updated. Current its Version 10.0 (Build 10240) and their issue is when system goes into sleep, this is no such issue. It just says my recovery key is wrong while the drive label matches. I don't know how this can happen when the recovery key I am using is what it saved into a portable drive prior to the OS reinstall.

try contacting ms support - maybe they have an idea

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
It just says my recovery key is wrong while the drive label matches.
Ugh, scary stuff. I hope you have a backup somewhere. Are you typing in the key, and did you check the obvious candidates? (one key stuck, caps lock on?). Other than that, if you haven't tried, read some of the top results of a google search for

bitlocker recovery key ("doesnt work" OR "isn't accepted" OR "cannot unlock")

and set the date range to 'past year' to get recent results.

Kalyana J

Aug 28, 2016
Visit site
Its not case sensitive only alphanumeric, because I tried both pasting and typing it and it automatically converts them into caps and even automatically inserts - in between. Actually I did this before as well when I got a system of which all drives were encrypted and it was not booting up. I used recovery key after OS install to open it up and it worked. Anyway will contact support. Thanks for the help guys.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss