The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
    PC automatically updated with major Windows 10 updates a few days ago (end August/1 September). Updates include Cortana & search on logon screen that I have no desire to use. Since then has been running like a dog. Websites are hanging - timing out as taking too long to respond. Pictures are not always displayed. This is a relatively new PC that has always run well and very fast with Windows 10. Tearing my hair out as to what can be done as really can't use the PC in this state. Any ideas?
    09-05-2016 12:11 PM
    Originally posted by Windows Central Question
    PC automatically updated with major Windows 10 updates a few days ago (end August/1 September). Updates include Cortana & search on logon screen that I have no desire to use. Since then has been running like a dog. Websites are hanging - timing out as taking too long to respond. Pictures are not always displayed. This is a relatively new PC that has always run well and very fast with Windows 10. Tearing my hair out as to what can be done as really can't use the PC in this state. Any ideas?
    Better to get back to .545 build.

Go to Control panel > Programs and Features > View installed updates...
    Scroll down to the bottom and under Microsoft Windows category click the KB3176938 (dated August 31) and uninstall it.
    Then click the KB3176936 (dated August 23) and uninstall that.
    It'll look like this:
    Attachment 130099
    You are back on Threshold 2(.545).
    #After reverting back to TH2 build, Click on defer upgrade under 'View installed upgrade'.

/ A TIP \
    If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the WindowsCentral(or Mobile Nation services) so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.
    Last edited by Aman Deep Singh; 09-05-2016 at 12:57 PM.
    09-05-2016 12:39 PM
    check in task manager to see what services or programs are using the most resources - it could be high processor usage or high RAM or disk usage

try to check for updates again for both the OS and for the apps

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.
    09-06-2016 04:51 AM
    Uninstalling the updates was my first thought... however, will this cause problems down the line when further updates are (automatically) installed?

Also, are you aware of what has been updated that would slow my system down to such an extent?
    Last edited by Tipishca; 09-06-2016 at 09:05 AM.
    09-06-2016 06:15 AM
    Uninstalling the updates was my first thought... however, will this cause problems down the line when further updates are (automatically) installed?

Also, are you aware of what has been updated that would slow my system down to such an extent?
    are you the original poster of the first message?

You can revert ton an older update and see if that works - but the future updates will still install automatically so this is a short term solution.
    I could say that you'll need to check which programs are enabled to run at start up and disable them in task manager
    09-12-2016 07:36 AM