Windows phone start screen filled with full of live tiles.

KKVinayKumar

May 4, 2016
Visit site
If I fill any Windows phone or Windows 10 mobile start screen with live tiles. Will all the live tiles flip simultaneously or will Windows OS pause few apps and let other apps update their tiles?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
"Filling" up a start screen with live tiles is unclear - do you just want to fill in the screen without making it scroll or would you like to make the screen scroll down almost indefinitely?

In any case, however, Windows Phone doesn't update all of the tiles "simultaneously", but rather in a staggered manner to conserve resources. The flipping is also not simultaneous.

I HAD a Windows Phone - a Lumia 1020 running Windows 10 Mobile preview (one of the last OS versions) - and I had over 60 pinned, around 20-30 of them were Live Tiles. I noticed that they don't get updated all at once, but more of "one after the other".

The apps and tiles are almost always "paused", since the OS will not update them continuously but rather at a pre-determined interval.

KKVinayKumar

May 4, 2016
Visit site
"Filling" up a start screen with live tiles is unclear - do you just want to fill in the screen without making it scroll or would you like to make the screen scroll down almost indefinitely?
By filling up I meant the start screen to have nearly 90% to 100% of live tile apps. They can either be scrollable or non scrollable. But the viewing area should be filled with live tiles.

KKVinayKumar

May 4, 2016
Visit site
I HAD a Windows Phone - a Lumia 1020 running Windows 10 Mobile preview (one of the last OS versions) - and I had over 60 pinned, around 20-30 of them were Live Tiles. I noticed that they don't get updated all at once, but more of "one after the other".
Wow! 20 to 30 live tile apps :shocked: :cool: It must be awesome to see them flipping one after the other.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
By filling up I meant the start screen to have nearly 90% to 100% of live tile apps. They can either be scrollable or non scrollable. But the viewing area should be filled with live tiles.

From what I've observed, only the tiles in view are the ones that get updated. All of my tiles were in folders filling up the "viewing area" without the need to scroll down, but not all tiles in a folder were visible without opening the folder all at the same time. I guess once the tile gets rotated into view, that's an instance when they can get updated - but that doesn't mean it's updated each time the tile is in view.

(In response to your other quote)
Yeah, I wanted to capitalize on "seeing everything in a glance" in the start screen... and my still 20/20 vision. I increased the screen resolution with each successive preview build, such that I had four medium tile columns across the screen. The successive increase in screen resolution could have been an update bug: I set the resolution to maximum in build A, when build B gets released an installed the resolution is still the same but it is labelled not as the maximum so I could then set the resolution to another maximum further increasing the resolution from build A.

I didn't really look into the details of that bug, if it was really a bug (I haven't read reports about it). But it was indeed useful to see all those tiles at once without making the phone crash.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb