Outlook Mail notifications issue

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

When an email arrives, the Outlook Mail app very often fails to push a notification. A lot of users have been complaining about that for over a year now. After a long time spent trying to solve this, I think I now know what causes the issue, but I have no solution for it.
The Mail app is set to run in the background so it can receive new email and push notifications. Here's the weird thing: Notifications will consistently fail when the Mail app is actually running in the background. I thought it was supposed to always be running in the background, but it turns out this is what actually causes the problem. I have two PC's (both running Windows 10 Anniversary Update), on one of which mail notifications work fine. I monitored the processes in Task Manager, and noticed that on that PC the Mail app doesn't always run in the background. Apparently it runs periodically to check for new email and then stops. No problems! On my other PC, however, as soon as the Mail app starts running in the background, it is never terminated; instead it just gets suspended. That's when the notifications fail, which is most of the time. The only workaround I know of is to keep the Mail app always running in the foreground. Any ideas why the app is never terminated once it starts running in the background and any possible solutions?
Thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa