I just got a call and they said they were from windows and my computer was being attacked and asked me for my csi number so they fix the problem. The more questions I asked the more irritated he became so I told him I dont give that information over the phone and hung up. If it was truely windows shouldn't they have the number and would they call at 1120P.M.?
    09-16-2016 01:42 AM
    Hi and welcome to Windows Central.

That sounds like a scammer called you. Microsoft never calls people in that manner.
    Hi and welcome to Windows Central.

That sounds like a scammer called you. Microsoft never calls people in that manner.
    a5cent, aximtreo, xandros9 and 1 others like this.
    09-16-2016 01:56 AM
    Yes, the "Microsoft Certified Technicians" call me several times a month.

Usually the voicemail system gets them, but on one occasion I played along for about 30 minutes just to see what they would try. The guy had me look up some obscure registry entry that exists on *every* Windows machine ever installed, and tried to convince me that its existence meant my machine was compromised. When they got around to asking me to go to some website to install the tool that would give them full remote access to my computer, I explained that my Internet has been down for the past week. The guy was very rude for some reason after that and ended up hanging up on me.

I usually recommend people just say "Sorry, I don't own a computer" and hang up.
    Chintan Gohel likes this.
    09-16-2016 09:26 AM
    Absolutely not. You probably couldn't even call Microsoft and talk to a real person if you wanted to.

They are certainly not going to call you.
    Chintan Gohel likes this.
    09-16-2016 11:43 AM