Windows 10: I need to boot in safe mode but I am stuck at the uodate screen which has no UI.

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I have been stuck on a screen that reads "We couldn't complete the updates, Undoing changes, Don't turn off your computer" for 16 hours. This screen gives me no options for troubleshooting the problem or restarting in safe mode. Computer is an HP laptop which originally ran on Windows 8.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Sometimes the update process can drag on a bit, but after 16 hours it maybe has lost it's way, personally I would assume it's gone wrong and restart the PC, your call of course but that is what I would do.

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Definitely restart. Force a shutdown during the HP logo. Start again, and it will saying something like "Performing Automatic Repair" after which you will get the advanced boot menu.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I have been stuck on a screen that reads "We couldn't complete the updates, Undoing changes, Don't turn off your computer" for 16 hours. This screen gives me no options for troubleshooting the problem or restarting in safe mode. Computer is an HP laptop which originally ran on Windows 8.

try the forced restart and see if that clears it up

If it boots up cleanly, run the update troubleshooter

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven