Installing Windows 10 ON an external hard drive & Surface Pro 4/5(?) vs Macbook Pro Retina

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Greeting Windows Central users,

I am currently studying engineering and is at the crossroads on which laptop or 2 in 1s to buy. I currently have 2 choices:

i) Buy a Macbook Pro Retina (i5, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD) and an external hard disk with Windows 10 installed on it.
ii) Buy a Surface Pro 4/5, 4 if the price is low enough when the 5 comes out, depends on how well Kaby Lake is. I'll get the type cover as well.

If you have any other laptops or choices in mind, please let me know.

Here're my usage scenario:
i) Watch movies (stream from websites), watch youtube videos.
ii) Web browsing like 9gag, looking at things I can't afford to buy, language learning websites (Duolingo, Deutsche Welle).
iii) Run finite element engineering software that are exclusive to Windows.
iv) Off the wall (6 to 8 hours away from the wall socket) traveling with the laptop or 2 in 1.
v) Writing reports on the go like in iv)

Here're my gripes with the OS-es.
Windows 10
i) Confusing OS. No idea where the proper settings are, windows updates unpredictable (Take Surface Pro 4 battery life issue as the example), too many "layers" of settings, NO MORE PLACEHOLDER FOR ONEDRIVE.
ii) Bad and unpredictable battery life, don't deny it, you all know how it's like.
iii) Software installation often involves registry editing (the installers does it on its own) and leaves a trail of chaos when you uninstall it. Redundant folders and files often left where they are.
iv) Feeling of Microsoft might abandon the users anytime. ANYTIME. Looking at you Windows 10 Mobile.

macOS
i) Somewhat limited customization
ii) Unable to run many engineering software
iii) iCloud is as confusing as OneDrive

Okay so after all the above, here are my reasons why I narrowed down to the 2 choices above:
i) MBPr + external hard drive with Windows 10
The MBPr would fulfill my entertainment needs with good enough battery life. It would sleep when I want it to and wake when I want it to. When I am typing a report, I could use macOS and worry less about how the battery would drain. When I need to run engineering software, I could connect to the external hard drive (probably the Samsung T3 SSD) and boot to Windows 10.

Which brings the question, is there an official guide on how to install Windows 10 on an external drive?

ii) Surface Pro 4/5
It's the purest form of Windows 10 a consumer can get. No bloatware or ****ty McAfee when you first boot it up. It runs my engineering software. It is portable and lighter than the MBPr. It's got a pen. It plays well with Microsoft things. After reading reviews on the bad battery life, I have my doubts. If Kaby Lake can improve the SP5's battery life significantly (Consistent 9 hours video looping / browsing battery). I might just get it. If not, probably the SP4 as I don't need my softwares to run very very fast, just need them to complete the calculations.

Please share your opinions.

Thank you.

vezycash

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Here're my gripes with the Windows 10... No idea where the proper settings are
Most of these settings are still in control panel. It's easy to find. Also, the new settings page has a search button. So...

Here're my gripes with the Windows 10... windows updates unpredictable
It's possible to block windows update completely. I've done it. There are tutorials you could use on the internet. You can do it by disabling a few services, making use of firewall apps or host file edits.

Here're my gripes with the Windows 10... NO MORE PLACEHOLDER FOR ONEDRIVE.
Technically, this is more of an app problem than an OS issue. If you onedrive sucks, get dropbox or any other one.

Software installation often involves registry editing (the installers does it on its own) and leaves a trail of chaos when you uninstall it. Redundant folders and files often left where they are.
All Windows versions have this issue. It's not specific to windows 10. In fact, windows 10 is trying to cure the problem with store apps.

Feeling of Microsoft might abandon the users anytime. ANYTIME. Looking at you Windows 10 Mobile.
Win mobile is a different issue. They won't abandon you, not in the next 5 years. Guaranteed.

I could connect to the external hard drive (probably the Samsung T3 SSD) and boot to Windows 10.

Which brings the question, is there an official guide on how to install Windows 10 on an external drive?

I've gotten this to work. Well, you could put the VM image on the external drive.

If Kaby Lake can improve the SP5's battery life significantly (Consistent 9 hours video looping / browsing battery).

Keep your fingers crossed. I guess your real gripe with windows and SP is battery life. I've read reviews as well and battery life is a recurring issue. Though, it affects SP3 more than it does SP4.

silentFan

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
For you I'd say to be safe, buy a MacBook pro and slap windows 10 on it. In case you're not satisfied you can always go back to apple and if not you get to enjoy the new windows era of store apps which in my opinion is great times ahead.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Greeting Windows Central users,

ii) Surface Pro 4/5
It's the purest form of Windows 10 a consumer can get. No bloatware or ****ty McAfee when you first boot it up. It runs my engineering software. It is portable and lighter than the MBPr. It's got a pen. It plays well with Microsoft things. After reading reviews on the bad battery life, I have my doubts. If Kaby Lake can improve the SP5's battery life significantly (Consistent 9 hours video looping / browsing battery). I might just get it. If not, probably the SP4 as I don't need my softwares to run very very fast, just need them to complete the calculations.

Please share your opinions.

Thank you.

Keep in mind that the bad battery reports are experienced by a few users and not the majority
The settings are easily searchable and as for support - windows OS is the heart of Microsoft - for them to not support it means they would effectively die as a company
There's a onedrive app that does not download the whole file but shows thumbnails just like placeholders did
There are registry cleaners - pick a reputable one and use it
Or perform regular disk cleanup

The fact is that most engineering and other software too is found on windows - this isn't going to change any time soon -so you're better off going with windows

I would only suggest you try looking at other pcs or 2 in 1s from other companies - you might find a better device with better battery or a cheaper price

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo