Is Windows 10 mobile better than this?

IM4CHRST

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I have been a long time windows phone fan. I flashed the first available ROM onto my htc HD2 before moving onto a Samsung focus the HTC titan. I took a 4 year hiatus with that whole WP8 debacle, going to Blackberry10 then an iPhone6.

My question is, does Windows 10 mobile actually work well? I have been waiting for 2 years to come back to WP and finally bought a Lumia 650 as an interim phone until the surface phone comes or, if not, get the elite x3. However W10 mobile has been less than stellar for me on this phone. Is performance better on the 950/xl or am I just looking at dealing with the bogginess' of the OS? I was hoping it was mor of a hardware issue but the more I use it, the more I'm convinced it's not. Any thought?

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
I have been a long time windows phone fan. I flashed the first available ROM onto my htc HD2 before moving onto a Samsung focus the HTC titan. I took a 4 year hiatus with that whole WP8 debacle, going to Blackberry10 then an iPhone6.

My question is, does Windows 10 mobile actually work well? I have been waiting for 2 years to come back to WP and finally bought a Lumia 650 as an interim phone until the surface phone comes or, if not, get the elite x3. However W10 mobile has been less than stellar for me on this phone. Is performance better on the 950/xl or am I just looking at dealing with the bogginess' of the OS? I was hoping it was mor of a hardware issue but the more I use it, the more I'm convinced it's not. Any thought?

windows 10 mobile does works great on high end devices like the 950/xl or elite X3 . Your 650 is very limited WRT the hardware , and with an upgrade to X3 or 950 , that will definitely improve your perception towards windows 10 mobile.

The elite X3 is the best to have, if you are willing to go for a premium device. The battery and screen is superb and with the best hardware ,SOC for windows phone. The device runs exceptionally on the ;latest redstone builds with minor issues isolated to camera , but dont forget these builds are just bits to a full fledged feature update to be unveiled next year.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Your 650 is very limited WRT the hardware.

I disagree. The 650 is perfectly capable of running an efficient mobile OS very quickly and smoothly. W10M just isn't efficient.
W10M requires very high end hardware to compensate for those inefficiencies. They are then still there of course, just swept under the rug so to speak.

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
I disagree. The 650 is perfectly capable of running an efficient mobile OS very quickly and smoothly. W10M just isn't efficient.
W10M requires very high end hardware to compensate for those inefficiencies. They are then still there of course, just swept under the rug so to speak.

About inefficiency, i didn't experience any lags to freeze on production builds . neither do high end graphic games affected the performance of device on my 730. According to me a lot depends on hat state the OS is , i usually hard reset after each CU and with a fresh start. Even after hard reset there are a few glitches in UI but regarding efficiency i have no quiestions

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
About inefficiency, i didn't experience any lags to freeze on production builds . neither do high end graphic games affected the performance of device on my 730. According to me a lot depends on hat state the OS is , i usually hard reset after each CU and with a fresh start. Even after hard reset there are a few glitches in UI but regarding efficiency i have no quiestions

I'm running the official build (not on insider), and I did a hard reset before and after the last update.

Just the fact that it takes a lot longer to boot W10M than it takes to boot WP81 on the same hardware should tells us something (more processing is necessary to reach the same state). Furthermore, it's not possible to measure efficiency just by eyeballing your screen. Efficiency isn't necessarily related to lag either. The best measure of efficiency is the amount of power required to complete a given task. W10M is getting better, but it's not on par with WP81.

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
W10M is getting better, but it's not on par with WP81.

I acknowledge that too, windows phone 8.1 was just another level where windows 10 will be but not anytime soon.

i question is Microsoft introducing feature rich update too soon?. We were just on the edge of complete stability on th2 build and the Anniversary update is dropped to us, with new issues that will take a lot of months and builds to be in comparison to where we were on th2 .545.

IM4CHRST

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I made a typo in my original post, though the phone does get bogged down a lot, sometimes to the point of needing a reboot, I meant to say the OS buggy and seems unstable at times. Even in first party apps, it crashes or gets hung up. The notifications on the lock screen will stay visible even if I checked them. Same with the notification center. There are a number of other issues too but again, I'm only using a 650; would higher end hardware help with these issues?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I made a typo in my original post, though the phone does get bogged down a lot, sometimes to the point of needing a reboot, I meant to say the OS buggy and seems unstable at times. Even in first party apps, it crashes or gets hung up. The notifications on the lock screen will stay visible even if I checked them. Same with the notification center. There are a number of other issues too but again, I'm only using a 650; would higher end hardware help with these issues?

I highly doubt that as those aren't issues that would be solved with more power. (sorry to disappoint you Jeremy Clarkson)

I would make sure the phone is up-to-date and on the Anniversary Update (Release Preview Ring at the most) and hard reset, starting fresh. It tends to solve a lot of W10M's problems but the OS itself still isn't in the best of shape. I'd say depending on the individual install, it could be anywhere between Android-on-an-okay-day to a trainwreck.

Of course, there's a lot of variability. Some people will never see issues that others have. Cortana just liked to crash all the time on me with TH2 across hard resets and desktop/mobile. I don't hear too much complaining on that on here.

But I believe that variability is a symptom of deeper underlying issues. iOS has been solid on all the devices I've used and the quirks that arise are often fixed by restarting the phone or they can be widespread and quickly fixed. (a la iOS 10's first hour hiccup on launch day) With W10M, I don't necessarily know what to blame.

IM4CHRST

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Having to do these hard resets is frustrating. It's as if MS has backtracked to WM6.5 that would completely wipe my HD2 with each OS update. I was so happy with WP7 because it just worked and worked well.

CraigCole

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
WP8/8.1 was an excellent OS. It makes me sad to see how it went nowhere....

WP8/8.1 are like the glory days. They'd run buttery smooth on even the most basic hardware. Glitches were rare; there was no excess heat, random reboots or atrocious battery life. My cyan 920 was the best, a real beauty inside and out. W10M is a disgrace to this legacy of reliability and responsiveness.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
In my opinion - the issues being experienced (if they are being experienced) can be solved by having the latest updates, getting a good sd card if you have to use one, and doing a factory reset only when things get too tough.

I've had windows 10 mobile for more than a year and I've done a factory reset once only just to see what it does.
I've never had a reason to do a factory reset except for my new phone (540) - that was to get rid of an old account

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
About inefficiency, i didn't experience any lags to freeze on production builds . neither do high end graphic games affected the performance of device on my 730. According to me a lot depends on hat state the OS is , i usually hard reset after each CU and with a fresh start. Even after hard reset there are a few glitches in UI but regarding efficiency i have no questions
Wouldn't agree about games not lagging as I own a 950xl and DH5 lags at times and for a 810 proc and 3gb ram that's ridiculous. Even before the .189 update SS lagged at times the longer I played. So tbh the OS needs more optimizing for games, day to day tasks and overall experience for all/most is such that anyone running w10m on any eligible device would be happy to showcase their phone.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Wouldn't agree about games not lagging as I own a 950xl and DH5 lags at times and for a 810 proc and 3gb ram that's ridiculous. Even before the .189 update SS lagged at times the longer I played. So tbh the OS needs more optimizing for games, day to day tasks and overall experience for all/most is such that anyone running w10m on any eligible device would be happy to showcase their phone.

or the games need to be better developed

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium