Am I the only one disappointed/frustrated/angry on anniversary update of windows 10 mobile?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Hello

I just bought a lumia 950 a couple of months ago. Previously I had a lumia 920 I liked very much. I though the change to better hardware with a more modern operating system was a sure bet.

After I month of happiness, anniversary update came along, and the only two features (in my opinion) in which windows mobile was ahead of competitors have been downgraded.

1- Glance screen is missing config options it already had. I can understand not putting any more efforts on developing new features, but removing the ones that are already there? I charge my phone at night with a wireless charger, and I have had to disable glance alltogether to be able to sleep in the dark (please don't mention putting a paper on the phone as a smart solution for this nonsense).

2- Kid's corner, the envy of all my android friends, is no longer there. Android has need several main versions to get a children mode only available to newest devices, and microsoft decides to remove it. Great idea! Apps corner is near to useless: tiles cannot be set up (they are reset every time you enter that mode), I pinned the tile to start screen, entered app corner and now there is no tile but it cannot be pinned again because it detects it is already pinned....

What sense does it make to upgrade an operating system to downgrade its features? Please Microsoft, the hardware of our devices is great, much better than average, give us the tools to make good use of it or release the specs to install some other OS which is interested on investing on improving their users experience.

I use my smartphone for work, as a camera, and to keep my children busy when I cannot play with them. If I use my phone for so few things and I have come accross two "downgrades", I am sure power users must be quite disappointed too. Or not? Maybe I am the only one thinking that way...

Best regards.

jeffchapik

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I agree wholeheartedly! I've never understood removing features in a new version. For example, Groove music doesn't allow me to browse my music library from my car's head unit like Xbox Music did. All I can do is skip forward and backward.

Not phone related, but the Xbox One has no ability to limit children's play by time or number of hours/day like the 360 did. Why?!?!?

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Kids corner, in the end for me, I didn't want to give them my phone anymore. I have an old 520 and 625 for the kids. Infact... with w10 on the 625 and their own account set up under me as a child in the family account settings, I can see my kids usage with weekly reports emails. I can also limit the log in hours and amount of screen time and it works across phones and tablets.

I find they appreciate having the responsibility to their 1hr of screen time if I give them the device and if it runs out, they get prompted to ask and permission can be granted over email.

It's better than kids corner so that you don't have to keep fighting your kid for it.

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
loosing kids corner and city lens were my worst nightmares come true. City lens gave me every inch of information what all can i do in an unknown city. It became easier to explore. With kids corner i never used pin protection, as i always activated kids corner when handing over the phone to someone else. Now all that is lost :(

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
consumers either complained or bought other phones. Also they complained while only buying low end phones. Ok complained about no real 1020 successor but clearly not enough people bought them to make them think it was something people actually wanted. Then people complained that they want top end specs at 6xx or 8xx pricings....

complained even that nothing can beat the 920 on windows 8.1. Complained so much that the win10 upgrade program was screwed for the x20 phones :D

So... the consumers haven't been good to work with to build a phone. Business more patient and easier to get corporate support for mass purchases. Business users always look for ways to simplify their work environment so if they find something in windows 10 that's awesome, then there will be a tendency to keep using what makes work simpler... Business users are consumers too so eventually they'll demand more from their business devices to be more consumer friendly and provide entertainment (ie: blackberry).

I hope MS or OEMs keep pushing out dual sim phones for one and that the hardware supports 2 LTE connections one day :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs