WM 6.5 vs W10M

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

IF you compare today both versions, which do one do you think is best?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I ask because so many businesses still use 6.5 instead of w10m.

That's likely because of old specialized hardware like barcode scanners and such that haven't been replaced because they still work. Also its not like they're used for normal functionality.

If I were to compare 6.5 to a modern smartphone (and I have tried to use one recently, albeit it was in Spanish), W10M would blow it away in general design, animations, web browsing, messaging, email, beauty, cloud syncing, phone calls, talking to modern services etc.

Although of course, WM6.5 has a lot of odd features W10M doesn't have but does it matter to the average user? Probably not.

You could live with it though, like it'll do the basic stuff. I could probably barely scoot by with WM6.1 or so.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I never saw WM6.5 so I can't say much on that. However, WM10 is 95% better than any other previous version of Windows mobile OS. The 5% is for the missing features or features that got removed like fm radio

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Relatively speaking, WM was ahead of W10M. What I mean by "relatively" is comparing them to their competition during their prime. WM was basically a little PC in the pocket.

I used WM 5 and 6 for a few years, up until sometime in 2011. I started out with PDAs, and later had several smartphones running the OS. I remember browsing the file system and even editing the registry, much like on a PC. It had a fairly robust app store available as well.

You specifically mentioned comparing both versions today, and I would give the advantage to W10M looking at it 100% objectively. WM looks very dated today, and lacks features we take for granted.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
yup.
i never understand why Microsoft abandoned older wm. they have great market share much better than all wp's combined and its looked and worked more like PC.

Windows Mobile stacked up well against Palm OS and Blackberries of the time.

However compared to iPhone and early Android it was stylus-happy, clunky, not particularly speedy and no amount of facelifting was going to help it. It's more PC-esque nature was a liability here and it was limping along without major updating. If it were just patched up to be like WP7, we'd have an odd library of visually clashing, stylus-oriented applications on a fairly out-of-date base.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster