Windows Update fails but no failures are reported in Windows Update History

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

My Surface Pro (1st generation) is running Windows 10 and I have it set to update Windows automatically. It's been doing that fine. Recently though I noticed that it always offers me 'Update and shut down' instead of just 'Shut down'. So I let it update. Next time I use the machine and come to shut it down, it makes me update again. And while it's updating, it certainly looks like it's trying to update rather than just shutting down.

According to my Windows Update history, the last successful update was on 15th September. But it's listing no update failures either, which is suspicious.

Anyone got any ideas?

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
My Surface Pro (1st generation) is running Windows 10 and I have it set to update Windows automatically. It's been doing that fine. Recently though I noticed that it always offers me 'Update and shut down' instead of just 'Shut down'. So I let it update. Next time I use the machine and come to shut it down, it makes me update again. And while it's updating, it certainly looks like it's trying to update rather than just shutting down.

According to my Windows Update history, the last successful update was on 15th September. But it's listing no update failures either, which is suspicious.

Anyone got any ideas?

Did you tried a "Update and Reboot" instead?

Neil Sands

Sep 30, 2016
Visit site
I have tried that. In fact one time I just did that continuously for about five cycles, update and restart, update and restart, update and restart, update and restart, update and restart but it didn't help. :( It still always wants to update, never actually does it, and reports no failures.

Thanks Maurizio. (I'm the OP by the way, just no longer a guest.)

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I have tried that. In fact one time I just did that continuously for about five cycles, update and restart, update and restart, update and restart, update and restart, update and restart but it didn't help. :( It still always wants to update, never actually does it, and reports no failures.

Thanks Maurizio. (I'm the OP by the way, just no longer a guest.)

check in update settings if also have updates set to install for other MS products - try disabling that

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea