Should I buy the Surface Book i7?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I'm currently a college student, and I've been waiting for the Surface Book 2 since the Surface Book 1. I currently have a Spectre x360 i5 (not the new Spectre) which is plagued with technical issues (heating, driver update problems, etc) and I want to replace it. The first surface book really struck me - I wasn't particularly grabbed by the tablet idea, but it looked so good for schoolwork and browsing, so clean and portable, yet also able to handle sub-AAA games like Overwatch and Bioshock Remastered, that I wanted the hell out of it.

However, I'm also not the richest college student. So, I decided to wait for the Surface Book 2 to get the most out of any bug fixes, tech upgrades, etc. Today, Microsoft dropped the i7 Surface Book and initially, I'm conflicted. On one hand, it's a Surface Book and then some, so I love it on that front already. That being said, it's not exactly a major revamp of the 1, and so I don't know if it's actually worth buying, or if it's simply a time-filler until the Surface Book 2 drops. It's quite expensive, so if I buy it, i'm not going to buy another laptop for a few years presumably.

My question is as follows: should I buy the Surface Book i7? If not, then what should I do instead?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My question for you is whether the form-factor, design, hybrid nature, pen and coolness worth the very high price and relative difficulty to repair. For me there is no way I can justify it.

I can't really talk about gaming since I haven't played anything AAA on a PC lately, but for schoolwork and browsing my 2014 ThinkPad Yoga suffices and if I really had to, I could probably scoot by with my 2008(?) T400.
(chief complaints though were poor graphics and bulk, otherwise it was fine for internet and word processing.)

I don't know how well they'll fit you but I'd look into the ThinkPad X series for relative durability and compactness or maybe a Dell Latitude. (I'm a fan of business notebooks)

The Surface Book isn't really going anywhere yet so you can always wait.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre