Windows phone or not?

Russ T Nutt

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but here goes! I'll be looking for a new phone in the near future, and would like to try a Windows phone. I've been using a budget Android phone, and I'm not that impressed with it. I've read about lot about Windows phone, that the UI is so smooth and easy to use. I'm not concerned about the "app gap ". I'm not a power user by any means.

My main concern is the future of the Windows phone platform. I don't want to become attached to the platform if ,a couple of years down the road, when I'm becomes time to replace the phone, I have to go back to Android because I can't find a suitable replacement Windows phone.

I understand Microsoft will not be introducing any more new Lumia phones. I definitely wouldn't be interested in the Surface Phone, if it ever arrives. Way more than I would ever need! It could get by with the Lumia 640 just fine, but if there's no support for its in the future, then what?

What would be my best option, try the Windows phone, or stay where Android? Thanks!

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
lumia 640 series is a year old now, and you shuld expect another year of support w.r.t. os updates. Lumia 640 is a good device and is very stable on current windwos 10 mobile build.

Microsoft has closed its shop on the hardware business but will continue to develop windows 10 mobile. so in coming months we should see new windows 10 devices from OEMs as recently alcatel is going to release idol 4s on November 10. so definitely not an end for windows phone.

the only reason why you should stay with android imo will be because of the vast amount of app availability for any purpose. You will literally feel the emptiness in windows store once you switch platforms and you should be aware of that. it is not just a few apps but many major apps that are still not available on windows mobile. You did mention you are not a power user but even productive like banking etc apps are missing from windows mobile.

My opinion: stay on with android for another 6 months, till there is a healthy number of new devices with updated hardware running windows 10 by OEMs because now you have a very limited narrow choice to make.

Elbow Smackers

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
Honestly you would be just fine with a Lumia 650. They are going to support the phone later down the line. And the company already said their MAIN focus of Redstone in 2017 is Windows 10 mobile so you have nothing to worry about in terms of support. Windows 10 mobile is an excellent OS.... Especially compared to the the android OS. And if you get the phone from the Microsoft Store you can always refund the phone within in 30 days for your money back if you don't like it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos