Android or IOS

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

After several years with Windows phones with the Lumia 800, 900, HTC 8X, 920, 1020, 925, 930 and finally the 950 I've decided to leave the ecosystem. I LOVED windows phone so much and it makes me sad that I'm finally caving in to the app curse but i just can't keep hoping that things are going to come over to windows mobile.

For so long I really thought we were just to turn a corner and get mass appeal but Microsoft have just kept dropping the ball on so many occasions, from cursing us with the awful unfinished Xbox music to dropping sweet features like the me tiles and then the biggest crusher.... giving us a lacklustre flagship with no improvements anywhere near on the horizon. I admit, windows mobile is now much, much better with apps like grove and outlook being ace, and the flagship is pretty decent but it's no longer better than the competition, which it used to be, and it lacks all the apps they have.

All it would have taken to have kept me putting up with the app gap was for them to have released the 1020 again, with a bigger screen, bigger battery, expandable memory and faster processor. But they didn't, so I've finally decided to move on for now.

Anyway I'm wanting some advice what way to go, do i cave and go over to the dark side(which i used to slate so much for being closed and expensive) or go to android with it's buggy cartoonish interfaces but much better customisable experience?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
The simple answer I have for you is the following.

If you feel like you will miss customization, go with Android but choose well. All Android phones are not created equal.
If not, go with iOS. Microsoft services are slightly less of a headache on it.

If you have any questions or wish to provide more info, click here to learn how to join Windows Central so that you can reply to this thread.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
After many years with Windows Phones, I tried Android; always with a WM backup which I used a lot. This past week I bought an iPhone 6s Plus. I've never owned or used any Apple products but all the rest of my family uses Apple.

I have to say that preconceived idea of IOS was wrong. It's very stable, fast and fun to use. Can you do as much customization as you can on Android; NO. But you can do much more than with WM.

I still have my WP for backup but I'm going to give IOS a try. The app store is amazing. If you need an app on why humans sneeze, I'm sure there is one there. I am a big baseball fan and MLB AT Bat is not available for WP. That, in its self, is worth it for me to give it a try.

Quick answer, give IOS a chance. I don't think you will be sorry.

Player Piano

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
I agree, I tried a Sony Xperia and an iPhone and I ended up keeping the iPhone as a backup for now. Still using the 950 as daily driver but not sure how much longer that will last. I do have all the apps I need with Windows, just running out of patience with the constant bugs.

princeegli

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm going to iPhone....just going to jailbreak it to get more customization.......me and my brother have been on the 1520 since first released,and still love it....just app store is gong to garbage....hooe someone else takes over Microsoft Phone division

Last edited:

randomuser37

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
If not, go with iOS. Microsoft services are slightly less of a headache on it.

Can you share what the headaches are using Microsoft services on Android? Google Pixel looks like my favorite hardware, but I'm also favoring Microsoft services and apps. I have yet to decide between the Pixel or the iPhone 7. Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Can you share what the headaches are using Microsoft services on Android? Google Pixel looks like my favorite hardware, but I'm also favoring Microsoft services and apps. I have yet to decide between the Pixel or the iPhone 7. Any info is appreciated. Thanks!
Sure, I'll try to not make it too long.

The headaches can be phone dependent to an extent. I have tried a LOT of Android phones and I have seen a lot. When it comes to syncing contacts from a Microsoft account, they are not automatically synced after adding the account. You have to do some additional steps to have your contacts appear in your Google account.
There is the option to add it via Exchange which works very well, but in my experience, adding new contacts on your phone (after doing this) that way doesn't work.
One way to make it foolproof is to export your contacts and import them into Google. If you rarely ever get new contacts, you should be just fine with that method though. Aside from that, sometimes calendar sync can be buggy but there's an easy fix for that.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
FWIW, I've used Android from ?clair through Marshmallow. Though it is fantastic for customization, the UI always left something to be desired. It just seems faded and not sharp. Even my son's Note 7 leaves me cold. It does have apps. In my experience though, they crash. A lot.

I did take a Apple S6+ home for a few weeks and used it as my daily driver. I was less than impressed. My manager swears by his but I just don't feel the experience is solid for work.

If only I could get the Hub keyboard on WP10.

Sent from mTalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon