Vintage Computer

MBGrammer

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
Anyone know someone or someplace that collects old computers? I'm looking to unload my original NCR 8086 (from 1986) and Samsung "portable" from 1990.

I've not turned either on in years and cannot guarantee they work.

I'd rather not recycle them in case either is collectible (and hate to see electronics tossed in landfills). Here's hoping someone/someplace might like them to display or tinker or learn.

Thanks

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I've been wondering the same thing. Back in 1989 or so I bought my first computer, a Commodore 64. I used it for a few years, and then boxed it up. At the time I crated it everything was still working perfectly. I have the computer, color monitor, joystick, and floppy drive. I put it in a plastic tote to ward off moisture. I'm hoping that sometime down the road a perfectly fully functioning machine will be worth something, but it doesn't seem like it is yet. Probably too many others are doing the same thing I'm doing!

MBGrammer

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
I agree. My neighbor tossed his original Mac last year. I was aghast! But got me thinking these early models could be museum pieces or part of some company's display of "the evolution of technology". Might be too soon yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6