Can you help me with HDMI to VGA adapter woes?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I have a Windows 10 hp laptop and a Cable Matters HDMI to VGA adapter. I usually plug my laptop to an HD TV but am having to do this for a while.

I understand this can be tricky, as hdmi to VGA is digital to analog conversion. I got it working yesterday after plenty of fight, not in display options but windows key + p and selected extend. When done working I closed my laptop lid. Since then it has not worked. Can any you help?

I'll tell you what I've done and what it's doing. Now, Windows does indeed think it's connected to an external monitor. Everything about windows says so - there's two icons in display. I can move things to other monitor. But, the monitor doesn't agree. It's blinking in standby.

If I unplug VGA from monitor, it realizes it. If I unplug adapter from Windows, it realizes it. But there's still a gap and I can't find the answer.

I've restarted, shut down, combinations of those with plugging in adapter before / after, I've deleted generic display from device manager, tried a different monitor, and other various "windows nudges" I call em. Went to manufacturer's site, not any help there. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro