Upgrade from Windows 10 32 bit to 64 bit

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad with 32 bit Windows 10 and a 64 bit processor. I followed the procedure for upgrading from 32 bit to 64 bit. The creation of the thumbdrive with 64 bit worked fine. However, when I reboot the computer, it does not boot from the thumbdrive and proceed with the setup process. It just ignores it. When I try to run setup on the thumbdrive, I get an error: "This app can't run on your PC. Find a version for your PC". I noticed a couple of other users had the same problem. What should I do?

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi Welcome to Windows Central. Here's a link from the forum about your issue. Other members may reply to your thread. If you need more help, please join the forum so you can reply! Do you have your boot sequence set to boot from USB?
How to upgrade from a 32-bit to 64-bit version of Windows 10 | Windows Central
Here's link from HTG that says basically the same thing. This looks like it's not a easy thing to do!:smile:
http://www.howtogeek.com/228042/how-to-switch-from-32-bit-windows-10-to-64-bit-windows-10/

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/310085-join-windows-central-community.html

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
In your BIOS you must configure your boot options to boot from USB.

1) Shutdown PC
2) Insert the USB drive
3) Restart PC and immediately and repeatedly start pressing the key to enter the BIOS (typically F2 or DEL)
4) Find and modify the boot options so the USB drive is the first boot device
5) Save changes and exit BIOS

The error you got when running setup.exe is expected. You can't launch a 64 bit program from a 32bit OS.

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for joining @a5cent. I like team work! I didn't know about Lenovo. On my Toshiba it's F12 to get to boot options. I can get there with F2 also.
I guess they make it different for different brands to confuse us. LMAO:wink:
You are appreciated!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99