As a matter of fact, @holdum333, *I* have a laptop.
    (Problem is that the desktop I am using was hoped to be a replacement because of various oddities in the laptop's performance, e.g. slow browsing, audio input not working, CD/DVD player not working.

However, after obtaining the desktop, I did a clean wipe/Win10 install on the laptop and most of the laptop problems were resolved.

That said, I just connected said laptop directly to the modem/router.
    Speedtest.net gave 29.54/20.24 Mbps.
    12-13-2016 12:59 PM
    Hi friend! Have you updated the latest internet adapter on the laptop. After I upgraded to W10, I had to go to Toshiba and get the latest Realtek driver. What make and model is your laptop. I'm sure you have tried to update the driver through Device Manager. I'm thinking you might want another visit from your cable guy! It might have been good while he was there and not good now. Just a thought! Where has our other helpers gone. I sure would consider another ethernet cable if you could find one. I have a couple in my desk drawer.
    12-13-2016 01:16 PM
    What are the specks on your laptop? Very strange that the laptop has the same issue, don't you think?
    You needed more RAM for your desk top any way. LMAO
    12-13-2016 01:21 PM
    BROWN TRUCK UPDATE

First off, wow that was easy.
    Moment of panic when I only found one screw and a bunch of rivets on the case. Removed the screw and slide panel slid off.
    Unclipped the memory cards, slid out without incident.
    New cards slid in, retaining clips snapped in place.
    Restored side panel, reconnected all cables, etc.
    Started up w/o incident, 8 GB RAM registered on system stats.

But ...
    While there is a noticeable improvement in system response - boy did CCleaner zip! - only a slight improvement in browsing.

Chrome
    TWC speed: 44.24/17.67 Mbps (263ms)
    Speedtest.net: 37.34/16.91 (54ms)

Edge
    TWC speed: 76.16/23.92 Mbps (29ms)
    Speedtest.net: 89.63/23.97 Mbps (21ms)

Chrome is a bit faster on the uptake, but still have spinning progress wheels for page loads.

USB/Ethernet gigabit adapter comes tomorrow.
    12-13-2016 02:13 PM
    I'll stay tuned in! Glad the RAM went well for you. I have no use for edge or Chrome. I'll see what my speed test says with edge! not as good as Firefox! About half. Go figure! Lets hope the USB adapter works for you. It's my nap time friend!
    Speedtest by Ookla
    12-13-2016 02:29 PM
    Here's my stats, just for laughs and giggles!Also wondering why you only show 8 GB RAM. I thought you ordered 16 GB!
    Attached Thumbnails capture25.jpg  
    12-13-2016 02:40 PM
    You did of course check another Ethernet cable, just for chits and giggles? eliminating the possibility of a defective cable, or bad connection jack.
    holdum333 likes this.
    12-13-2016 05:06 PM
    You did of course check another Ethernet cable, just for chits and giggles? eliminating the possibility of a defective cable, or bad connection jack.
    Hi jack! Thanks for joining us. Good suggestion and it was suggested in post #52 and some other replies!
    mtf1380 likes this.
    12-13-2016 05:20 PM
    Hi jack! Thanks for joining us. Good suggestion and it was suggested in post #52 and some other replies!
    Yes, you are correct holdum333; I was reading the post, and toward the end was just skimming the content... sorry";^)
    12-13-2016 05:26 PM
    @ holdum333

I had contemplated a 16 GB upgrade, but my new friends here suggested it is possible to overdo memory.
    The cost of 8GB was something I could absorb immediately; 16 GB I would have had to wait a bit.

@ mtf1380
    Yes, the cable has been checked. The Time-Warner tech both plugged in directly to the modem/router and via the LAN cable and got the same results. I plugged into the router with my laptop and different cable and got similar results to the desktop.
    12-13-2016 05:30 PM
    Yes, you are correct holdum333; I was reading the post, and toward the end was just skimming the content... sorry";^)
    Not a problem my friend. Thanks for joining this thread. I like team work! It was a good suggestion. I was also wondering if it was the right cable, but OP said the cable repairman used that same cable to check the down load speed!. I like your dog. My favorite breed!
    mtf1380 likes this.
    12-13-2016 05:33 PM
    Hi Friend You should be fine with 8GB RAM. Yes You can over due RAM and not even use all of it and it's wasted. Might be different if your a gamer. IDK I'm not a gamer! Hoping that new USB adapter gets you what you're wanting! Got my fingers crossed!
    I have never seen my memory usage go over 60% in the Task Manager.
    Attached Thumbnails fingers-crossed.jpg  
    12-13-2016 07:38 PM
    Only thing I have to say: da **** is that speed?!
    12-13-2016 07:55 PM
    Question, are you using a VPN service? If so, have you disabled it and tried a speed test that way?
    12-13-2016 10:26 PM
    Dr H, when you performing speed test please make sure there is nothing using bandwidth in the background, like system updates or other programs.

It's strange that sometimes you can achieve max speed. That makes me believe that something else is using bandwidth or the problem relies with Time Warner themselves.

Sent from mTalk
    holdum333 likes this.
    12-14-2016 05:03 AM
    @ PlexusCV

I have done both.
    I just ran the test while sitting home alone (even switched off the WiFi for my idle phone and tablet):

Chrome
    TWC speed: 36.01/16.69 Mbps (291ms)
    Speedtest.net: 40.57/16.69 (101ms)

If we are operating under the assumption my desktop network speed is throttled by the onboard 10/100 Ethernet card and I am actually getting 300 Mbps speed, even if I had other devices online, shouldn't there be room for them in the additional 200 Mbps?
    Why would my desktop still be only getting 50% of its max speed?

@ Zulfigar
    Bowing to security/tracking concerns, I dabbled with TunnelBear's VPN a while ago, but was never able to make it connect properly so uninstalled it. There is no VPN currently.

The USB > Ethernet 10/100/1000 adapter is on the brown truck for delivery today.
    Updates as they become available.
    12-14-2016 08:19 AM
    @ PlexusCV

I have done both.
    I just ran the test while sitting home alone (even switched off the WiFi for my idle phone and tablet):

Chrome
    TWC speed: 36.01/16.69 Mbps (291ms)
    Speedtest.net: 40.57/16.69 (101ms)

If we are operating under the assumption my desktop network speed is throttled by the onboard 10/100 Ethernet card and I am actually getting 300 Mbps speed, even if I had other devices online, shouldn't there be room for them in the additional 200 Mbps?

@ Zulfigar
    Bowing to security/tracking concerns, I dabbled with TunnelBear's VPN a while ago, but was never able to make it connect properly so uninstalled it. There is no VPN currently.

The USB > Ethernet 10/100/1000 adapter is on the brown truck for delivery today.
    Updates as they become available.
    12-14-2016 08:20 AM
    Does your router have gigabit Ethernet ports on it? If it doesn't the new faster network card won't help you at all. A friend of mine was having issues with slow internet (he didn't upgrade his service with the ISP though), after much troubleshooting on his part i asked him if he wanted to try swapping out the ISP supplied router with an old 802.11g Buffalo one i was tossing since i had upgraded to an 802.11n one. The router fixed his issues he immediately just bought a new router.

My 2 cents, you've already tried most things and I myself have never liked the ISP supplied routers.
    12-14-2016 08:33 AM
    @ PlexusCV

That's correct, but I was referring only to your PC. For example, if windows is updating and you make the test simultaneously the result won't be correct because update is occupying part of the ethernets card capability.

In my last post I wrote bandwidth but I meant your ethernet card, sorry for the confusion.

Sent from mTalk
    12-14-2016 09:24 AM
    Hi There! Are we having fun yet? "The USB > Ethernet 10/100/1000 adapter is on the brown truck for delivery today.
    Updates as they become available".
    PS Post#68! Please note the adapter is a USB adapter. Hurry up brown truck. I can hardly wait. LMAO
    12-14-2016 10:21 AM
    @ DigitalDD

OK, now I am VERY confused.

The modem/router is an Arris Interactive 1706A

Specs from their support page:
    arris-interactive-1706a-specs.png

As you can see in the blue boxes, it has one gigabit port and 802.11n WiFi.

[But, a troubling aside, it also lists having MoCA technology and a guest wireless feature, neither I've seen in actual use]

I looked at the 4 LAN ports and there is nothing to distinguish the 1 Giga port.

From the instruction manual:
    arris-1706-gbps.png
    arris-1706a-gbps-p2.png

As an indicator light is all there is to identify the Giga port, it would seem that the modem adapts to provide Giga access to whichever port is pulling Gig speeds?
    Yes?
    As of right now, I only have amber lights appearing for the connected LAN cables.
    FYI, the cable connected to my desktop is a rated CAT6 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pUvbUpU3604542)

Still awaiting brown truck delivery of my USB adapter.
    12-14-2016 11:46 AM
    All 4 ports are gigabit.

sctrr.png

I think the light only will change if router is connected to a gigabit Ethernet card. Did the brown truck not arrived yet?
    holdum333 likes this.
    12-14-2016 12:08 PM
    BROWN TRUCK UPDATE #2

Certainly no complicated installation issues, plugged it in, it did its setup things.
    ethernet2-properties.png

Even the little light on my modem/router changed from amber to green.

Fired up the TWC speed test:
    new-twc-test.png

Look at the new high limit speedometer.

And then:
    usb-error.png

But then:
    usb-before-special-driver-install.png

Now, the instruction manual said there needed to be a driver update - but plugging it in did run a setup.
    I downloaded the special driver from Anker and installed.

And ...
    twc-edge-after-driver.png

And ...
    speedtest-chrome-after-driver.png
    But the greater concern, these are popping up intermittently:
    loss-connection.png

Meanwhile, even though I'm supposed to be getting 100+ Mbps speed (but not the 300 Time-Warner clocked), my web pages are still sluggish.

<sigh>
    12-14-2016 03:16 PM
    Can you try again speedtest.net but change to other servers near you. Just in case TWC servers could be with problems, so we can rule that out.

Sluggish scrolling on web pages could also be gpu related. Make sure you also have the latest graphic drivers. How is YouTube video playback, is it fluid?

Sent from mTalk
    holdum333 likes this.
    12-14-2016 03:50 PM
    @ PlexusCV
    The servers are near me ... Utica is 15 miles to the east, Syracuse 40 miles to the west.

According to the AMD Catalyst Control Center, drivers are up-to-date.

Why do you think the USB/Ethernet is disconnecting on its on?
    12-14-2016 04:46 PM
95 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD