Confirmed high speed Internet but low speed access

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Pay for Time Warner/Spectrum's ultra high speed broadband (300Mbps/100Mbps).
Tech was here a few days ago and confirmed those speeds are being delivered.

However my LAN wired desktop is delivering a fraction of that speed (15/5).

Have run all the troubleshooting I've read about (Win10 Network troubleshooter, SFC, DISM) - all report no issues.

Regularly run CCleaner - have cleared caches.

Similar difficulties with current versions of MS Edge, Firefox, and Chrome.

Android devices attached to the same network do not have speed issues.

Cable guy suggested RAM could be a problem but asking The Google contradicted that theory.

I work from home and rely on fast web access for my livelihood. Ready to pull out my hair.
=====
System specs:
PC: Compaq CQ2014 (wiped clean with Win10 install about a month ago)
Processor: AMD E-300 w/Radeon HD graphics (1.3 GHz)
RAM: 3.00 GB (2.60 GB usable)
HDD: ST350041 3AS SATA 454.09 GB (211.86 GB available)

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Do you have access to your internet router? If so, find the MTU setting there and reduce it to 1400 (make a note of the original value). Check the difference.

Well, chrome is a memory hog for sure, but the memory upgrade will take care of that. Not sure if that would be causing the slowness, though.

Dr H

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I do have access to the router, but where would MTU settings reside.

I've checked Basic Setup, WAN setup, and LAN setup and don't see MTU. (I presume WiFi settings are irrelevant.)
The router's firewall is disabled as I use the Win10 firewall.

One curious discovery ...
I changed DNS server settings to Google at @PlexusCV's suggestion, however, in the router's basic set up, Time-Warner's DNS is still entered.
I'm activating DNS override and entering Google's DNS.

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi! Just one quick question and then I'll go back to observing. If the cable guy got 300Mbps ("TWC sent out a tech. He connected his diagnostic magic box directly to my modem/router and to the LAN cable I use and showed me 300 Mbps results." ) why are we worrying about the router? Who does the router belong to? Is it a combination router? Usually the ISP provide the modem and maintain it. That's the way it works with my ISP. I have my own AC1750 WiFI Cable Modem Router because my provider charges for their wireless routers.:wink: I can't see any reason the repairman would want to deceive you.
Thanks! This is the way I learn and pass what I learn forward!

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Different OS and OS versions handle TCP in a different way. Specifically, windows' auto mtu path discovery is not 100% accurate all the time, so even though it can be a problem with Windows, changing the MTU on the router can definitely be considered a valid test. Note that this is a test, not a solution.

Dr H

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
@holdum333
You are correct. My router is supplied/maintained by Time-Warner.
It is an Arris Interactive 1706A that I received brand spanky new 6 mo ago in advance of TWC's network speed upgrade.

@slyronit
After changing the router's DNS to Google's servers, now even more confusing speed test results:
Chrome
TWC speed: 46.91/14.96 Mbps (310ms)
Speedtest.net: 20.13/11.87 Mbps (53ms)

Edge
TWC speed: 66.90/23.90 Mbps (158ms)
Speedtest.net: 63.58/23.89 (42ms)

Adding to the confusion, both TWC and Speedtest.net are provided by Ookla, so why am I getting such divergent results?

The search for MTU continues.
The WAN sub-menus are only "Dynamic" and "Dynamic IPV6"
Basic tab only accesses passwords for the router and networks.
LAN subs are "LAN settings", "LAN settings IPV6", "Client list", and "Ports"

I've scrolled through them all and do not find MTU.

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. This Router stuff is above my pay grade, so I'm going back to observing!:wink: I don't always get the same results when testing my down load speeds. I know they are better if I use the cable, but I'm wireless! I just tested my down load twice. The second test was 15Mbps different. Why? I have no clue. It never tests the same. Today it's a slower. I pay for 50Mbps. Today I'm getting half that. Some days it's a little over 50. I can't really even talk the talk, so I'll observe!:wink: When I fell like it's to slow, I call Sudden Link and *****. It usually gets better. They tell me they reset some thing?? IDK Good luck with your new RAM friend. Checked again. Ping stinks, but it always does!:wink: The down load is much better. Double what it tested before! Go figure.
Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi I don't want to interfere . What does this prove? I go into Command Prompt and ping Google.com. Is this a good result!??:wink:
milli seconds? IDK:grin:

Attachments

• Capture25.JPG
    Capture25.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 9

Dr H

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
While waiting for the brown truck to deliver my RAM upgrade, just for giggles, I turned off my firewall and retested speed.
Confusion continues to deepen:

Chrome
TWC speed: 47.59/16.48 Mbps (305ms)
Speedtest.net: 46.79/15.47 (51ms)

Edge
TWC speed: 68.21/23.80 Mbps (122ms)
Speedtest.net: 62.43/24.05 Mbps (107ms)

An aside, I was surprised to learn, in advance of my TWC/Spectrum tech visit, they have basically LoJacked their service people and I could map his approach to my home (for an appointment in a ONE hour window). It was both cool and more than a little creepy.
UPS, on the other hand, still just gives a general four hour estimation.

Dr H

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
As a matter of fact, @holdum333, *I* have a laptop.
(Problem is that the desktop I am using was hoped to be a replacement because of various oddities in the laptop's performance, e.g. slow browsing, audio input not working, CD/DVD player not working.

However, after obtaining the desktop, I did a clean wipe/Win10 install on the laptop and most of the laptop problems were resolved.

That said, I just connected said laptop directly to the modem/router.
Speedtest.net gave 29.54/20.24 Mbps.

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi friend! Have you updated the latest internet adapter on the laptop. After I upgraded to W10, I had to go to Toshiba and get the latest Realtek driver. What make and model is your laptop. I'm sure you have tried to update the driver through Device Manager. I'm thinking you might want another visit from your cable guy!:wink: It might have been good while he was there and not good now. Just a thought! Where has our other helpers gone. I sure would consider another ethernet cable if you could find one. I have a couple in my desk drawer.

Dr H

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
BROWN TRUCK UPDATE

First off, wow that was easy.
Moment of panic when I only found one screw and a bunch of rivets on the case. Removed the screw and slide panel slid off.
Unclipped the memory cards, slid out without incident.
New cards slid in, retaining clips snapped in place.
Restored side panel, reconnected all cables, etc.
Started up w/o incident, 8 GB RAM registered on system stats.

But ...
While there is a noticeable improvement in system response - boy did CCleaner zip! - only a slight improvement in browsing.

Chrome
TWC speed: 44.24/17.67 Mbps (263ms)
Speedtest.net: 37.34/16.91 (54ms)

Edge
TWC speed: 76.16/23.92 Mbps (29ms)
Speedtest.net: 89.63/23.97 Mbps (21ms)

Chrome is a bit faster on the uptake, but still have spinning progress wheels for page loads.

USB/Ethernet gigabit adapter comes tomorrow.

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
:wink: I'll stay tuned in! Glad the RAM went well for you. I have no use for edge or Chrome. I'll see what my speed test says with edge! not as good as Firefox! About half. Go figure! Lets hope the USB adapter works for you. It's my nap time friend!
Speedtest by Ookla

Dr H

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
@ holdum333

I had contemplated a 16 GB upgrade, but my new friends here suggested it is possible to overdo memory.
The cost of 8GB was something I could absorb immediately; 16 GB I would have had to wait a bit.

@ mtf1380
Yes, the cable has been checked. The Time-Warner tech both plugged in directly to the modem/router and via the LAN cable and got the same results. I plugged into the router with my laptop and different cable and got similar results to the desktop.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb