Confirmed high speed Internet but low speed access

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Pay for Time Warner/Spectrum's ultra high speed broadband (300Mbps/100Mbps).
Tech was here a few days ago and confirmed those speeds are being delivered.

However my LAN wired desktop is delivering a fraction of that speed (15/5).

Have run all the troubleshooting I've read about (Win10 Network troubleshooter, SFC, DISM) - all report no issues.

Regularly run CCleaner - have cleared caches.

Similar difficulties with current versions of MS Edge, Firefox, and Chrome.

Android devices attached to the same network do not have speed issues.

Cable guy suggested RAM could be a problem but asking The Google contradicted that theory.

I work from home and rely on fast web access for my livelihood. Ready to pull out my hair.
=====
System specs:
PC: Compaq CQ2014 (wiped clean with Win10 install about a month ago)
Processor: AMD E-300 w/Radeon HD graphics (1.3 GHz)
RAM: 3.00 GB (2.60 GB usable)
HDD: ST350041 3AS SATA 454.09 GB (211.86 GB available)

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Three other possibilities come to mind (problems that I had with my IPS).

1.) high internet traffic in your area, due to holiday shopping?
2.) Low tech cable from ISP transfer station to your home/office (I had this problem and had to have the ISP install 1 mile of new cable - some above, and some below ground)?
3.) bad splice in cable from ISP, permitting moisture to penetrate connection (I had this problem too, my driveway is .33 miles long and had many splices over the years, and the newer bandwidth cable does not like moisture, so when it rained or snowed, it caused me lots of problems - had to have it replaced with 1 long run, no splices).

Your IPS should be able to run tests to determine if any of the above is/are the issue.

Dr H

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
1) High traffic - how would I know. I live in the center of a city of ~35,000, so it's not exactly a metropolis. Additionally, as we were all upgraded to this 300Mps broadband, shouldn't there be more than ample capacity, even for holiday season?

2 & 3) Low tech cable/bad splice - again, how would I know. My service is delivered via a drop from a utility pole right in front of my house, length, maybe 35 feet. (Again, if this were the issue, wouldn't that have shown during the recent tech visit that confirmed 300 Mbps speeds)

The cover to the cable junction box on my house had been falling off. The tech secured it after visually checking the cables and said that isn't a likely source of speed degradation. Could that be a splice problem?

@ PlexusCV, that sounds like an interesting idea but you are moving past my tech comfort zone. I had enough trouble getting a Win10 USB rescue boot to work.

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi I have UBUNTU 14.04.3 on a DVD. It works for me. I haven't used it enough to know a lot. Have gotten on line with it. Looked at my files, minor things. More or less just to see if I could do it. It wasn't that hard to do. That would eliminate every thing except the hard drive IMHO.Hey PlexusCV. Would like to hear your thoughts about this program. Hot CPU Tester! Here's what is said by it. Major Geeks recommends it, for what that's worth.:wink: 7Byte : Hot CPU Tester Pro
I have ran the free version on my PC and every thing tested good. Might be a good tool for a repairman??:grin:
Hot CPU Tester Pro is a system health and stability tester. It tests CPU, chipset and virtually all parts of motherboard for errors/bugs, defective parts and components. It is a burn-in test with uniquely designed state of the art DefectTrack engine. DefectTrack is a technology developed by 7Byte to diagnose systems regarding its stability and in general, computer's health. Hot CPU Tester is currently being used in many labs and governmental organizations around the world, as a reliable stability testing utility.

Steve Hampe

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Wow!! This thread sure got quite! Is there any update progress?:wink:

Sorry, had to take some time to attend to neglected work.

Anker support replied with an offer to replace/refund the USB adapter. Tested it on my laptop and only got 100 Mbps speed despite network properties confirming 1 Gbps available.

So, waiting for the replacement.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, had to take some time to attend to neglected work.

Anker support replied with an offer to replace/refund the USB adapter. Tested it on my laptop and only got 100 Mbps speed despite network properties confirming 1 Gbps available.

So, waiting for the replacement.

By the way, you will never see 1Gbps if you use it with a USB 2.0 port, hope you have considered that.

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
By the way, you will never see 1Gbps if you use it with a USB 2.0 port, hope you have considered that.
Hi ! Good idea! Wondering if more then one port was tried. I think my Toshiba has two 2.0 ports and one 3.0 port. I think the one on the left is the 3.0. That's the one I always plug my external drive into!:wink:

Dr H

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
@ slyronit
Yes, I did consider the USB 2.0 v 3.0 issue, but:
  1. AMZ answers suggest some USB 2.0 users were able to get near 1 Gbps speeds;
  2. I'm not even consistently getting 100 Mbps speeds with the Anker USB > Ethernet;
  3. There is the additional issue of the USB just intermittently dropping the signal altogether.

@holdem333
I did try different ports on the Compaq desktop, but not my Toshiba laptop. I believe (from the pic of your specs page) we have the same model laptop (mine is the L755D-S5106) and that the one left-side USB is a 3.0. I'll double check that today before shipping the USB Ethernet back to Anker (just got the return label).

EDIT: No go on the Toshiba ports, just checked specs: 1-USB (2.0) port with Sleep and Charge, 2-USB (2.0) ports

Last edited:

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Those who claim to have seen Gigabit speeds on USB2.0 need to explain how, seeing how USB 2.0 (High speed) is theoretically limited to 480 Mbit/s.

Also, this depends largely on the quality of the controller being used and this 480 Mbit/s is shared between all ports on that controller. Due to bus access constraints, the effective throughput of the High Speed signaling rate is limited to 280*Mbit/s or 35*MB/s

Also, a bottleneck is how the controller connects to the system bus.

Dr H

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Oh, forgot to tell the group, late last week, owing to various comments, I uninstalled Chrome - no noticeable improvement in browser speed with Firefox.

Anker USB Ethernet awaiting return pick-up. They claim they'll send the replacement as soon as the return's tracking indicates it's en route.
Updates as events warrant.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babukapyar