Confirmed high speed Internet but low speed access

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Pay for Time Warner/Spectrum's ultra high speed broadband (300Mbps/100Mbps).
Tech was here a few days ago and confirmed those speeds are being delivered.

However my LAN wired desktop is delivering a fraction of that speed (15/5).

Have run all the troubleshooting I've read about (Win10 Network troubleshooter, SFC, DISM) - all report no issues.

Regularly run CCleaner - have cleared caches.

Similar difficulties with current versions of MS Edge, Firefox, and Chrome.

Android devices attached to the same network do not have speed issues.

Cable guy suggested RAM could be a problem but asking The Google contradicted that theory.

I work from home and rely on fast web access for my livelihood. Ready to pull out my hair.
=====
System specs:
PC: Compaq CQ2014 (wiped clean with Win10 install about a month ago)
Processor: AMD E-300 w/Radeon HD graphics (1.3 GHz)
RAM: 3.00 GB (2.60 GB usable)
HDD: ST350041 3AS SATA 454.09 GB (211.86 GB available)

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi Welcome to Windows Central! The only thing that comes to my mind is the cable. Are you sure you're using the right Ethernet cable. Do you have another cable you can try. I agree with your cable guy about RAM could be your problem. They are usually straight forward and know what they are talking about. I use crucial to check how much RAM I can add! They have been around for ever. I have 6GB of RAM on my Toshiba laptop. I have no problems.
Give this a look! Crucial.com - DDR4, DDR3, DDR2 and DDR RAM memory upgrades
If you nee more help ,please join the forum!
http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/310085-join-windows-central-community.html

Dr H

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the response. The cable guy thought of it being the cable and re-ran the test connected to the cable usually attached to my computer - same result.

I'll explore RAM options now.

[I actually already was a community member but didn't think to open the "hamburger" to find the log-in]

EDIT:
According to Crucial.com:
Memory
Maximum Memory: 32GB
Slots:2 (2 banks of 1)
*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.
2GB 1GB

Do I read this correctly?
  • My computer only has two memory slots, already occupied by a 2 GB and a 1GB card?
  • This means I cannot add memory but actually have to replace it (in order to expand memory)?
  • If that is the case, can I simply remove the installed memory and swap in new, larger cards?
  • Or is there anything I would need to do before the upgrade?

Last edited:

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi I'm not sure on your Max RAM. I have 6 GB and that serves me well. Yes order a pair and replace your old sticks . Are you sure Crucial said Max 32 GB
That doesn't sound right to me! It's better to have a matching pair IMHO. Sorry for getting back to you late. I've really had a busy day. I help seniors here in my retirement village for free. Crucial is a good outfit and they stand beside their products. If you have more questions, I'll try to answer them. 3GB of RAM is really not enough these days and IMHO. and they need to be matched!:wink: I think you will be happy with your PC by adding more RAM. Let me know how things work out for you! Did you build your PC or have it built??
Welcome @ Dr H to Windows Central.:wink:

Dr H

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
No worries Holdum, not expecting instant service! :)

The computer is an off-the-rack Compaq bought in 2011. It had been my mother's but had been sitting unused as her health was fading.
The 32 GB max figure was a direct cut-and-paste from Crucial after using the scanner from your previous link.

Final question -
You say 6 GB is serving you well. Presuming the 32 GB is legitimate, is "more always better"?
I was contemplating upgrading to an 8/8 pair for 16 GB.

When it comes time for the upgrade, I don't need to back anything up or do anything special? Just power down, open the hood, swap the memory, (close everything) and power up?

EDIT from the HP Product Support webpage:
Memory upgrade information
Single channel memory architecture
Two 240-pin DDR3 UDIMM sockets

Supports the following:
PC3-6400 (DDR3-800)
PC3-8500 (DDR3-1066)
Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit* systems
Supports up to 32 GB on 64-bit systems (with 16 GB UDIMMs)

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi Friend! No bigger is not always better. You can have to much RAM and it's just wasted. I think 16GB of matched RAM will make a big difference in your PC performance and your down load speed. No you don't have to back any thing up; but when I'm making chances to my PC, I always create a back up image of my OS. You need to be very cautious about static electricity and always be grounded to the case. A wrist band is cool, but you can keep yourself grounded to the case.
Good luck friend. I'll be waiting for a good report from you. Was hoping that other members would join us, but I guess that's not going to happen.:wink:
Thanks for the update!

PlexusCV

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
Are you using the motherboards lan ethernet port? If so you will only get a third of the speed to that PC, of what your provider delivers.

Please make a speedtest at speedtest.net and post the results. Make the test with all programs closed (only browser) and disconnect other devices that could use internet.

To take advantage of all the internet speed you'll need a Gigabit Ethernet card on your PC. I looked up your PCs specs, and if it's right, your motherboard only can do 100 Mbps down and 10 up.

Sent from mTalk

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Welcome aboard my friend! Team work is always a good thing. Are you saying adding more RAM will not help?? He only has 3GB and the sticks are probably not matched. His ISP repairman recommended more RAM.:wink: A 100 Mbps down and 10 up isn't to shaby! I get 50Mbps down and 5 up and I don't notice any lag.
Your comment is welcome and appreciated!:wink:
Here's link for speed test!
http://www.speedtest.net/

Last edited:

PlexusCV

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
Welcome aboard my friend! Team work is always a good thing. Are you saying adding more RAM will not help?? He only has 3GB and the sticks are probably not matched. His ISP repairman recommended more RAM.:wink:
Your comment is welcome and appreciated!:wink:
Here's link for speed test!
http://www.speedtest.net/

More RAM is always good 🙂, but like you said, no need for overkill.

If the RAM sticks are the same type and speed there should be no problem, however, some brands could be incompatible with each other even with same specs. Other possibility could be a defective stick of RAM.

In this case I think the culprit is the ethernet port of OPs PC. If the speed test gives him a result of around 90Mbps it's perfectly normal because of hardware limitation.

Sent from mTalk

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi friend thanks for your reply.I think the OP is getting his RAM from crucial, so there shouldn't be a problem with matching if he orders two sticks.
I'm not that familiar with the ethernet port, but I would think the cable repairman would have alerted him to that possibility. If I could get 100 up and 10 down, I would be plenty satisfied. Lets hope he doesn't have to upgrade the ethernet card! Thanks for helping!
Lets see what his speed test results are!
PS If you get more RAM then the MB can handle, you will have a problem. So it make sure it can handle 16GB:wink:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I've worked in PC repair some, and I've never seen a case where (lack of) RAM is the reason bandwidth is low. I'm not saying that is NOT the reason, but it is unlikely.

In this case I think the culprit is the ethernet port of OPs PC. If the speed test gives him a result of around 90Mbps it's perfectly normal because of hardware limitation.

I tend to agree. Since the laptop is a 2011 model, it could very well be a hardware limitation. If so, there is probably not a whole lot to do about it.

PlexusCV

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
Hi friend thanks for your reply.I think the OP is getting his RAM from crucial, so there shouldn't be a problem with matching if he orders two sticks.
I'm not that familiar with the ethernet port, but I would think the cable repairman would have alerted him to that possibility. If I could get 100 up and 10 down, I would be plenty satisfied. Lets hope he doesn't have to upgrade the ethernet card! Thanks for helping!
Lets see what his speed test results are!
PS If you get more RAM then the MB can handle, you will have a problem. So it make sure it can handle 16GB:wink:

Yes, he should be alright with 2 equal crucial sticks.

Here in my country most cable repair man don't have a clue about computers, if he is a young guy maybe you're lucky 😂. Don't know how it is in your country.

The HP support site states that it can handle 2x16 Gb uDIMMs sticks. He should be more than fine with 2x8 Gb.

Sent from mTalk

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi @tgp! I'm not much good on hardware so I'm going to bail out of this thread. Very strange that the cable man would suggest more RAM and not mention the ethernet card. IDK. You all say you're not going to rule out RAM but you've never seen a case where RAM was the cause. The OP says he has two sticks of RAM now. One is 1GB and the other is 2GB. That's not enough IMHO. IDK. I guess one way to tell is to monitor the Task Manager and see if the RAM is maxing out. I don't have all the answers and I'm still learning!:wink: Thanks for helping me help the OP. You both are appreciated!

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi I don't want to Hi-Jack this thread, but I don't think @Dr H will mind if I ask a question. If the RAM doesn't solve this issue, what's next? The ethernet adapter has been mentioned as the cause of this problem. That doesn't look that hard to replace. So what would be needed? I'm not a hardware person, but could this ethernet adapter be up graded, or is the mother board maxed out? How about a upgraded ethernet card. This is the way I learn new things and then pass them forward. Any help or information would be appreciated about this issue. Does the OP need a Gigabit Ethernet support at 1 Gbps (1000 Mbps). The old one only supports 100 Mbps if I'm understanding all this. All you hardware experts join this thread. Are there just two cards, or are there more?
Thanks!

Dr H

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
@PlexusCV, I'm by no means an IT expert, but I have tooled around a few open PCs in my day.
Are you saying, this CQ2014 has the Ethernet card hardwired into the motherboard?

HP Support helpfully included pics which would seem to support that conclusion.
Bluewood3 motherboard.jpg
Bluewood3 I-O ports.jpg

I remember in other (older) computers, faxmodem cards that were attached TO the motherboard not part OF it.
What TechGod thought removing upgrade ability was a good thing?

I've ordered the Crucial 8 GB kit which should be here Tuesday. Will report back to the group if it helps overall performance. But it would seem I am stuck with moderately fast Internet unless/until I get a PC with a gigabit LAN card.

I tried running Speedtest today but it loads and hangs.
Previously, I have run it, the TWC speed test, and SpeedOf.Me and get similar results 10-15 Mbps/5-9 Mbps.

PlexusCV

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
Yes, almost everything is onboard in this motherboard, even the processor is soldered, no way to upgrade cpu either.

I've tested speedof.me but it didn't choose a server near me, instead it chose London for test server and I'm in Portugal. Don't know if it is your case but this influences the result of the speed test. The test server should be nearest to you as possible, at least it should be in your country.

I'll be waiting for you to report back after RAM upgrade.

Sent from mTalk

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Unless you're running out of RAM, upgrading your RAM will have no difference on your internet speed tests. 15/5 is too low, even my 11 year old laptop with centrino and 1Gb RAM can max out my 100mbps link.

One thing I couldn't believe no one suggested till now was updating the Ethernet controller driver.

1. Download the latest Ethernet driver from the manufacturer's website and update it
2. See if you can borrow a USB to Ethernet adapter and try using that instead
3. If possible, attach another laptop/computer to your LAN and try transferring data between the 2 both ways and note what speeds you get.

Someone above said that you cannot get good speeds with on-board ethernet ports. That is simply not true; as all on-board ethernet ports have their own controllers. My NUC has an on-board gig port and I can reach 700-800mbps transfer speeds on my LAN, no problem.

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Unless you're running out of RAM, upgrading your RAM will have no difference on your internet speed tests. 15/5 is too low, even my 11 year old laptop with centrino and 1Gb RAM can max out my 100mbps link.

One thing I couldn't believe no one suggested till now was updating the Ethernet controller driver.

1. Download the latest Ethernet driver from the manufacturer's website and update it
2. See if you can borrow a USB to Ethernet adapter and try using that instead
3. If possible, attach another laptop/computer to your LAN and try transferring data between the 2 both ways and note what speeds you get.

Someone above said that you cannot get good speeds with on-board ethernet ports. That is simply not true; as all on-board ethernet ports have their own controllers. My NUC has an on-board gig port and I can reach 700-800mbps transfer speeds on my LAN, no problem.
Hi did you bother to read post #18.:wink: And also all the other replies in this thread.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb