Contacts lost after full reset and restore

randomscandinavian

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I reset my Lumia 930 hoping to fix some sound bugs I've been experiencing. After restoring from my backup however, several things are lost.

One example of this is my contacts. My People list is virtually empty even though I am logged into all my accounts and apparently synced. I have about five people there from a second Microsoft account from work.

On my even older phone, also logged into the same accounts, my contacts are all present. But can they be transferred manually somehow?

Hoping for a quicker way than to write them in again one by one.

randomscandinavian

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
My contacts are synced to the phone now after trying various things, but only the previously mentioned twelve or so. Tried making yet another test user in outlook online and it immediately appeared on my phone.

Most of my contacts visible at outlook.com however, remain unsynced. So where could they be stored?

randomscandinavian

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Also I found 170 of the contacts (possibly all of them) in an old gmail account. They still won't sync to my phone however. But they can be exported and maybe imported to some other account.

Last edited:

randomscandinavian

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Not entirely sure, but it seems your contact list is populated with contacts from other sources. Have you, by chance, linked your contacts from Google/Facebook/other accounts?

Yes, I discovered this today. (my previous comment). I don't remember linking anything but oh well. In any case it still won't sync to my phone, even from Google. But I've exported the contacts so maybe I can create yet another account...

randomscandinavian

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Looks like I may have resolved it by importing the unsyncable contacts from Google into Outlook even though they were already there. This gives me not two but three copies of each person but only one of each is synced to my phone.

So now it looks like everything is here, except their profile photos that are gone. That's OK.

A great big thanks for your help through all of this!

Arlan Henry

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm late to the party and I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this but...

There's a section in People App called "Showing" or "Filter Contact List". Do you have the corresponding accounts selected there?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss