Problems with Taskbar load time and Start button right-click options

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Hoping the pros here can help me with this weird problem.

For a while now, whenever I restart or boot up, while the main boot up goes relatively quickly, it takes a long, LONG time before any of the program/app icons appear on the taskbar. We're talking at least 5 minutes!

Also, I've noticed that when I try to access any of the options available when I right-click the Start button (command prompt, disk management, etc), none of them work. I can access these functions in other ways, but not by way of the Start button.

I've tried to have Microsoft tech support help me. So far I've reinstalled Windows twice (in-place and USB drive) and created a new user account. None of these things have fixed the problems.

One thing I am trying to avoid is a clean reinstallation. I have several programs that I've either lost the original installation CD/DVD or they've gotten damaged. So if I did a clean installation, I would lose those programs.

Any ideas here? I would be VERY appreciative of any and all constructive help!

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi Welcome to Windows Central! First thing! I'm not a Pro, but we do have some on the forum. You stated that you have several programs that you don't want to lose.
I suspect there are several that startup on restart or boot up. Here's link from HTG that might help you with that! How to Make Your Windows 10 PC Boot Faster
Here's a link from the forum that might help your task bar issue! How to fix taskbar search not working in Windows 10 | Windows Central
If you still need help, please join the forum. We have smart people that have the answers!
http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/310085-join-windows-central-community.html

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Check your hardware for errors, especially your hard disk. And make sure your drivers are up to date.
Which drivers?? You could run a sfc /scannow and a DISM. That would check if any files were corrupted! Here's link to HTG.
The OP is reporting slow startups! I guess it wouldn't hurt to do a chkdsk
How to Repair Corrupted Windows System Files with the SFC and DISM Commands
Run this command when troubleshooting a buggy Windows system. If Windows is blue-screening, applications are crashing, or some Windows features just aren’t working properly, the SFC command may be able to fix this. Even if the SFC command doesn’t repair any files, running it will confirm that no system files are corrupted and you can continue to troubleshoot your system with other methods.

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
The reason I mentioned hardware is because OP said they had tried repairing Windows already - chkdsk will indicate if there are any problems with the disk itself.

I just noticed that the OP has not done a clean install, so maybe that could be an option.

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
The reason I mentioned hardware is because OP said they had tried repairing Windows already - chkdsk will indicate if there are any problems with the disk itself.

I just noticed that the OP has not done a clean install, so maybe that could be an option.
Hi ! Thanks for helping. Team work is always good and two heads are better then one. I didn't mention a clean install because the OP said they didn't want to do that because they had to many programs to lose. They have talked to MS and done a in-place repair. It has been my experience that we won't hear from the OP.
Here's a program from MBAM that I recommend a lot.https://www.malwarebytes.com/startuplite/
StartUpLITE provides a safe, easy, and efficient way to eliminate unnecessary applications that start when you turn on your computer.

By disabling or removing unnecessary entries, StartUpLITE can dramatically shorten your startup time with just a few clicks of the mouse. Stop waiting and start computing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb