Windows 10 ISO Install from DVD

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Made several copies using Microsofts tool to download and burn the ISO on to DVDs on a PC, however none of them boot. Even my own bought Windows 7 disc will not boot.

I have read many things on the internet and there has been something said about UEFI BIOS... I believe the laptop I'm attempting to put Windows 10 on has this as well as other laptops I've tried them on as they have also failed to boot from these discs.

In the BIOS it is set to boot from disc.

Also, I heard it was easier to install Windows via a USB stick but I do not have one so I wish to install via DVD.

Is there a solution to this such as making another change in the BIOS or a different way I require to burn the DVD to solve this?

Thanks

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Could you explain how you installed the .iso files?

Assuming you did it correctly, you need to make sure that your DVD drive is first in the boot order. In my experience, if Secure Boot is enabled, you will need to manually select to boot from the DVD drive.

Also, Windows 7 is a "legacy OS" and thus is not supported by Secure Boot.

king0r

Dec 29, 2016
Visit site
Downloaded the ISO on my PC using the media creation tool.
Burned it to disc as per the instructions.
I also made a disc using ImgBurn.

DVD was selected as first in boot order. Not sure about Secure Boot being enabled. I'll check on another laptop which has also failed to boot from these DVD.

So Secure Boot disabled? or how do I manually select?

UPDATE

One of the discs works straight away on a Toshiba Qosmio so I'll look at the BIOS settings on that. It didnt work on another Toshiba and HP laptops though.

king0r

Dec 29, 2016
Visit site
Heres my Boot settings on the HP laptop which wont boot from the Windows 10 discs i made.

POST Hotkey delay = 0
CD-ROM Boot = Enabled
Internal Network Adapter Boot = Disabled
Network Boot Protocol = IPv4+6 UEFI
Legacy Support = Disabled
Secure Boot = Enabled
Platform Key = Enrolled
Pending Action = None

UEFI Boot Order
Internal CD/DVD Drive
OS boot manager
USB HDD
USB CD/DVD Drive
Network Adapter

Legacy Boot Order (Greyed out / Not Enabled)
notebook HD
CD/DVD Drive
blah blah blah

If anything what do i require to change to get this disc to boot?

Thanks.

king0r

Dec 29, 2016
Visit site
Solved.

Enabled Legacy which disabled Secure Boot.
Did what I had to do with the disc and then returned to the BIOS to disable Legacy Boot which in turn Enabled Secure Boot again.

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Solved.

Enabled Legacy which disabled Secure Boot.
Did what I had to do with the disc and then returned to the BIOS to disable Legacy Boot which in turn Enabled Secure Boot again.
Very nice my friend, and some really good information. Your reply will help other members with this issue!
Thank you!

Chemy JMHT

VR Expert
Nov 6, 2016
Visit site
Hey about the USB boot, I use a tool called Rufus it's free, you can google it to find the lasted version and always works like a bliss.

sometimes instead of selecting the inside the BIOS the boot priority you can also do it just after the BIOS screen by pressing F8, but it will also depend of your laptop brand so it could be another Key.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro