What will happen if I turn my laptop off while it's resetting?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I have an HP Windows 10 Laptop and about 5 hours ago I made it do a Reset, but still keeping personal files, so not a factory reset. When I checked back on it's progress, the screen was black but at the bottom is a loading icon, it's a cicle of dots spinning. What does this mean? And what will happen if I turn my laptop off then turn it back on?

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
What do you mean by "RESET"? Did you just do a "restart" or use a "recovery/reset" option within the settings menu. The dots means it's "busy" and could be applying an update that was waiting in the background to install.

Can try leaving it a bit longer but if that fails to produce results then you may have no choice but to manually power it down. The worst case, a total restore, best case, it'll go through the recovery process restoring your previous version of Windows.

I cannot guarantee the final outcome as I've seen it go both ways, its the luck of the draw at times especially where W10 is concerned.

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi ! I agree with my friend @Elky64. If it's still resetting after 5 hours, that's not a good sign. I would also recommend letting it run awhile longer. Resetting W10 is never a sure thing. I hope you created a system rescue drive. As stated by @Elky64, worst case a total restore. Lets hope it completes the refresh/reset!
If you need more help, please join the forum and someone will help you!:wink: I have read on the internet that for some users it took 10 hours. Usually 2 to 4 hours is the norm! I hope MS has a plan to make this better in the future!
http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/310085-join-windows-central-community.html
PS I think it has a lot to do with your down load speed!:wink:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos