Does One Note require an active internet connection?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I'm truly new to these one note and other new features. So I'm confused if one note requires an active internet connection an it says it needs to sync. And if it requires active internet connection is there any option to use it offline?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
It depends on what platform you are using OneNote on. If you are using it on a PC, you can use it offline and it can sync when connected to the internet again. On a phone, I'm not sure how it works.You might be able to use it offline and just have it saved to your phone locally but that's it.

Haven't tried it on a phone offline, but on a computer, I use it offline without any issues.

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
I use OneNote offline on both 8.1 and WP10 Lumias. Works fine. Of course, if you haven't had a chance to sync since your last entry elsewhere, it will seem to be missing. Same thing on the back end: Until there is an internet connection, there is no opportunity to sync to other devices.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
You can use either of the apps offline (universal store app or desktop OneNote 2016) at anytime, but your changes will not sync to the cloud and be available to any other devices without the internet connection. When the connection becomes available, they will sync the new content and changes automatically.

bmclachlan

Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
I don't believe that is correct. OneNote 2016 wprks fine on my SP4 without an internet connection, yet OneNote - the universal app - does not. The issue is that it used to open regardless of an internt connectiln.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
A heads up: Always anticipate what Sections, and more specifically, what PAGES you will need when Offline; and sync those before leaving your last WiFi connection.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs