Why does my Microsoft Lumia 640 Phone only recognize 10 GB of videos on a 128 GB SDXC card?

indype70

Jan 8, 2017
Visit site
My wife bought me a Microsoft Lumia 640 Smart Phone, running Windows 8.1 LTE, in September 2014. She also purchased a 128 GB Samsung SDXC card to use in the phone. The phone and my laptop both recognize the card as a 128 GB card, but when I add videos to the card through the phone or the laptop, the phone and that laptop only recognize the first roughly 10 GB of videos that are loaded first and then the phone and laptop do not recognize the format of any of the video files after that and will not play the videos. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

indype70

Jan 8, 2017
Visit site
I am not sure what the VLC app is. Can I get it from the Windows store? I did a Google search for VLC and see that it is video playback software. The software is not the problem. All of my videos are in MPEG4 format and my laptop will play all of the videos just fine. Even when I copy the videos onto my Samsung SDXC card on my laptop, the laptop recognizes all of the files until the SDXC card reaches about 10 GB filled and then the SDXC card stops recognizing the format of the videos. I even triead adding 8 GB of MP3 music files first (which the SDXC card recognizes) and the SDXC card still stop recognizing the MPEG4 files after it reaches around 10 GB. I have tried adding files to the SDXC card a minimum of six (6) times and the most GB of files I have ever been able to get the SDXC card to recognize is 12 GB. My best guess is that the problem is a formatting issue with the SDXC card or that the SDXC card does not hold more than 16 GB and the card has been mislabelled, but with a name brand like Samsung, the card being mislabelled seems unlikely. Once again, any additional suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance! :)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12