Linux/WINDOWS

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Which are various ways to use Linux on Windows device? I.e. live Linux USB/CD drive; live Linux PERSISTENT USB/CD drive; replacing Windows with Linux etc...

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Which are various ways to use Linux on Windows device? I.e. live Linux USB/CD drive; live Linux PERSISTENT USB/CD drive; replacing Windows with Linux etc...
I have used the bash under the Windows subsystem for Linux beta plenty of times. I have not dug around in it a lot. It is real handy when I need to test or use unix/Linux code since I do not have to login to my setups with Suse or Ubuntu to use the command line.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you want to dabble and not commit, Live CD is a great way to exlore Linux and you can test different Linux flavors quite easily this way by preparing different Live CDs for Ubuntu/Debian/Mint/etc.

If you want a true install and a permanent Linux system on the same box as your Windows... VMware is alright, but it may not perform to the best potential... Better yet is creating a dedicated partition and installing Linux on that drive. GRUB would allow you a chance to select which OS to load when you boot.

Replacing Windows with Linux might be a bit rash to start. How do you know you will like Linux better? I'd save that for later after you explore the Linux space some more. It does sound like you are at the beginning of your exploration.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
When I was into Linux desktop, dual boot was my preference. I quickly found after 3 years of explicitly using Ubuntu desktop over Windows, that I was only limiting myself. So I went the dual boot route for a while. Being I am on linux/solaris/AIX etc... command lines every day at work my preference for desktop is Windows 10. If you want to just explore Linux in windows, and not mess around with tweaking/partitioning/boot methods and such try Virtual box as it is free...https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism