Is OneDrive slowing down internet for rest of household?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I didnt believe it at first... My GF uses OneDrive to back up her files on her laptop.. a week ago the internet slowed to a crawl... ping was between 250 and 900... download bandwidth was less then a meg per sec... and its happened quite a few times in the last week... and EVERY time... GF is uploading something to OneDrive.. once she shuts it off and I reset the router... everything goes back to normal.. but she is not downloading she is uploading so how can that effect download speed for my household?

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I didnt believe it at first... My GF uses OneDrive to back up her files on her laptop.. a week ago the internet slowed to a crawl... ping was between 250 and 900... download bandwidth was less then a meg per sec... and its happened quite a few times in the last week... and EVERY time... GF is uploading something to OneDrive.. once she shuts it off and I reset the router... everything goes back to normal.. but she is not downloading she is uploading so how can that effect download speed for my household?

From what I understand, you can be slowed down for a couple of reasons: Router, busy period on the Internet, ISP transfer station problems, and the CHANNEL your router is on. Most ISP's default to the same channel for the most part; you could be routed onto a very congested channel for your area. I was slowed to a nails pace about 3 weeks ago, and after changing the channel I was using I immediate jumped back up to the norms. You can check with your ISP's tech dept to find how , and if, you can change the routers channel; and maybe get them to run some tests for you?

Good Luck!

TPtoICS0404

Mar 16, 2017
Visit site
I'm with Guest on this one. I've been having issues for a little while now. The ISP has spent many hours trying to determine what was wrong with my internet access. Ultimately they said it was due to Win 10. I googled it and tried updating my drivers and various other things, but nothing I tried seem to help. Today the network was slow again with high latency.

I remembered that I could go in and look at network resources to see what was using network resources on the PC. At the top of the list was OneDrive.exe with over 100,000 bytes/sec. So I re-ran the speed test and had the same dismal 5Mb throughput and 300+ms latency, then I ended the OneDrive process and reran the speed test for a 3rd time. This time the latency was 20ms and the download was 15MB. Right where it should be.

There's definitely something going on with OneDrive!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel