How can i turn off Time Display which is always on and draining battery

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Phone is switched to blank screen via button but after a few seconds Time display appears and stays on all of the time

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi, what phone do you have?
It sounds like you are describing Glance Screen, which can be turned off in the settings.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Here's the thing about Glance. It's not really battery intensive. If you are worried about battery there are much more productive avenues to explore.

However, Glance by default is "Always On" and you can mitigate that by use of the proximity sensor. When it is in your pocket, Glance gets shut off by the proximity sensor. Also if you get in the habit of laying your device face down when you set it on a surface, the proximity sensor will shut Glance off. This way it is there when you need to "Glance" at the details it provides and absent when you don't.

Also there are other options for how it will persist. Maybe explore those as well in the Glance settings.

Good Luck.

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Although I marked another best answer, I'm with Robert (RumoredNow) on this one! It's quite light on battery, and there's other ways, as he suggests to handle it. Your drain is probably coming from elsewhere. Facebook or twitter maybe? Or a carrier app?

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
However, Glance by default is "Always On" and you can mitigate that by use of the proximity sensor
Not a proximity sensor but the camera's light sensor. I have Glance set to only display when I wave my hand over the phone (Peek mode) except when charging during the day (Night mode settings).

Question just struck me: If it is set to display when charging is it displaying when it is in your pocket or laid face down? (can't try this myself as my USB socket is broken and I only use a wireless charging stand)

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Question just struck me: If it is set to display when charging is it displaying when it is in your pocket or laid face down? (can't try this myself as my USB socket is broken and I only use a wireless charging stand)

Plug in, lay it face up and place a glove or cloth over the top 1/3 of the screen. I'd test it myself, but the only W10M I have with Glance is boxed and ready to ship when it sells...

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
You can have the phone plugged in and charging then put it in your pocked or face down. That is the scenario that I was hoping to be answered.

Just checked with my phone on WP 8.1 and it still displays Glance screen when I cover the proximity sensor. I don't know the behaviour on Windows 10.

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Plug in, lay it face up and place a glove or cloth over the top 1/3 of the screen. I'd test it myself, but the only W10M I have with Glance is boxed and ready to ship when it sells...
Tested it on my Lumia 650. After covering the top 1/3 of the screen the time and date goes off.
Uncover the screen again and the time + date comes back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss