What inspires you to cover Windows and run Windows Central?

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Dan,

Rich here, you might remember meeting me at CES in 2013 or at the Talk Mobile launch event, in NYC back in the day. I know you have been with Mobile Nations a LONG time and you go back to the Windows Phone Experts days if not further back! So I asked Rene the same question in "Ask Rene" that I'm going to ask you. What inspires you to cover tech, in particular Windows, and is there anyone who got you in to this, and that inspires you to keep going?

I guess I'm asking for your origin story! lol

PS I sometimes notice a flag in the background on podcasts, and was wondering what it was? Is that your Country of your roots? Or a sports team, or what? :)

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Dan,

Rich here, you might remember meeting me at CES in 2013 or at the Talk Mobile launch event, in NYC back in the day. I know you have been with Mobile Nations a LONG time and you go back to the Windows Phone Experts days if not further back! So I asked Rene the same question in "Ask Rene" that I'm going to ask you. What inspires you to cover tech, in particular Windows, and is there anyone who got you in to this, and that inspires you to keep going?

I guess I'm asking for your origin story! lol

PS I sometimes notice a flag in the background on podcasts, and was wondering what it was? Is that your Country of your roots? Or a sports team, or what? :)

Thanks, Rich!

I find technology interesting from a philosophical position: as humans, we're deeply, deeply flawed and we live in a cruel world. We use technology to improve our experience. More interestingly, humans are what I describe as "pathologically social". We are hands-downs the loneliest creatures, which is why we focus so much on communication, images, language, text, and more to convey what is in our heads to the rest of the world. I studied linguistics for many years and found human language the one true unique human ability that everything else came from e.g. culture, art, music, etc.

Non-philosophically I guess I'm just good at writing and being able to convey views on how things work to regular people. I like to think that I can write for 'normal' people as well as those well-versed in technology ('experts'). Writing is super hard, tedious, frustrating, and not everyone can anticipate what their audience will want to hear. If you write something and there 99 questions in comments that you didn't answer in your article/review, well, you didn't do a good job of writing. That's a hard thing to teach.

Pragmatically, I like not having to work with other people in an office or even wear pants. When I was a kid I wanted a job wear I didn't have to wear a suite and tie to work. For years I was a film projectionist, sleep technologist, and writer -- all jobs that I really enjoyed and excelled at. It's just a great job to have and I'm very privileged to not only work here, but work with such great people including our forum volunteers and team. I also like working at my own pace, so that helps too.

Regarding the flag it's the original flag of the New England colonies. I was born/raised in New England and the North East (CT, lived in NY for 13 years, MA for 5 years on and off). I did AP History in high school and majored in Political Science and philosophy in college. New England just has so much cool stuff regarding the founding of the US. It's kind of a blow-back against "Souther pride", which likes to act like "the real America" I hear so often. I find it funny because this is where the American Revolution started. This is where Henry David Thoreau, Sam Adams, and Ralph Waldo Emerson did their work (I go to Thoreau Pond regularly, and hit the Freedom Trail). There's just a lot of great history here and it was only when I got older did I appreciate our culture e.g. the whole sarcasm/smart *** thing that I and Thurrott (also a local) are known for. We have our own verbiage like Package Stores, Grinders, Bubblers, Frappes, and I just find it all fascinating.

I next plan to add the Pine Tree Flag next to it, because it's history is just as badass :p

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, Rich!

I find technology interesting from a philosophical position: as humans, we're deeply, deeply flawed and we live in a cruel world. We use technology to improve our experience. More interestingly, humans are what I describe as "pathologically social". We are hands-downs the loneliest creatures, which is why we focus so much on communication, images, language, text, and more to convey what is in our heads to the rest of the world. I studied linguistics for many years and found human language the one true unique human ability that everything else came from e.g. culture, art, music, etc.

Non-philosophically I guess I'm just good at writing and being able to convey views on how things work to regular people. I like to think that I can write for 'normal' people as well as those well-versed in technology ('experts'). Writing is super hard, tedious, frustrating, and not everyone can anticipate what their audience will want to hear. If you write something and there 99 questions in comments that you didn't answer in your article/review, well, you didn't do a good job of writing. That's a hard thing to teach.

Pragmatically, I like not having to work with other people in an office or even wear pants. When I was a kid I wanted a job wear I didn't have to wear a suite and tie to work. For years I was a film projectionist, sleep technologist, and writer -- all jobs that I really enjoyed and excelled at. It's just a great job to have and I'm very privileged to not only work here, but work with such great people including our forum volunteers and team. I also like working at my own pace, so that helps too.

Regarding the flag it's the original flag of the New England colonies. I was born/raised in New England and the North East (CT, lived in NY for 13 years, MA for 5 years on and off). I did AP History in high school and majored in Political Science and philosophy in college. New England just has so much cool stuff regarding the founding of the US. It's kind of a blow-back against "Souther pride", which likes to act like "the real America" I hear so often. I find it funny because this is where the American Revolution started. This is where Henry David Thoreau, Sam Adams, and Ralph Waldo Emerson did their work (I go to Thoreau Pond regularly, and hit the Freedom Trail). There's just a lot of great history here and it was only when I got older did I appreciate our culture e.g. the whole sarcasm/smart *** thing that I and Thurrott (also a local) are known for. We have our own verbiage like Package Stores, Grinders, Bubblers, Frappes, and I just find it all fascinating.

I next plan to add the Pine Tree Flag next to it, because it's history is just as badass
How about coffee milk? Do you like it?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos