Burning and playing DVDs

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I am a novice and struggle with Windows 10. I have burned a Word 2013 file to a Sony DVD + RW 4-7 GB disc. It plays on my Dell desktop BUT is not recognised by my Blue Ray DVD player with my TV. Need simple instructions if possible please to solve the problem Am struggling to solve the problem

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
If you burned a Word document to your DVD +RW, why would you need it to play on a bluray player? It's not going to let you view a Word document on your TV. The blueray player will lack the capability to view the Word file.

Off the top of my head (may not all be correct):
- Blueray player probably doesn't support +RW discs.
- The disc may have been burned by Windows in the mode which doesn't finalize the disc.

When it comes to burning DVDs, for best compatibility with the widest range of devices, use a DVD -R disc. I don't even think you can find +R anymore, and RW discs are best for PC use only.

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
To add on to the above post.

A typical home theater bluray player can only play media files - music and movies. It does not have the programming to open up any other types of files, even if it could detect them. Word is a proprietary file format created by Microsoft. They can usually only be opened with Microsoft Word program, or any word processing program that can convert it.

The reason your Dell desktop can read it is because it's a full fledge computer that can read arbitrary data on most physical media (CD, DVD, flash drives, HDD, SSD,...etc). Computer and be programmed to open a variety of file formats. If you installed Microsoft Word on the computer, obviously, it will be able to read/write Word files.

Simply put, home theater disc readers are unable to open word processor files, unless otherwise stated by the manufacturer. In fact, they can only play music and movie disc usually. It's a whole world of media that I don't want to get into.

ryans_daughter

Feb 14, 2017
Visit site
Thank you both for replying. I told you I was a novice. I hadn't realised that I couldn't use a DVD with a Word document om a DVD player Doh!!
If I transfer it to a memory stick, can I play it through someone else's TV? If so, how?
One day I hope to get past page 2 of the manuals but at my age I may not last long enough to get to the end
Your patience is admirable for a techy forum!

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
At the fundamental level, you need a computer program which can open Word documents, whether that is Microsoft Office, Microsoft Word viewer (it's free), or one of the various free copy-cat Office programs.

A TV isn't going to have the software required to view a Word document, so plugging a USB stick into the TV will not allow you to view the Word file. Although, a TV will play jpeg images or mpeg4 video files from a USB stick.

If you need to view a Word document on a TV, here are the following options:

- You need a TV which supports Miracast. Miracast allows you to "project" your phone, tablet, or laptop screen to the TV screen.

- If your TV doesn't support Miracast, you can get a Miracast adapter and plug it into your TV.

- You can then use Microsoft Office on your phone, tablet, or laptop to open the Word Document and use Miracast to display your phone / tablet / laptop screen on your TV screen, which will show the Word Document that you have opened on your device.

Think of it as using your TV as a wireless computer monitor. The Word document will need to be running from the "computer" first.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos