Project Neon Fixing it all.

Damian Powell1

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Will Project NEON finally give us long awaited features like a universal task manager and tab support, and why does it have a slight Apple Music and Material design feel so far?

aXross

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
Project NEON isn't a feature-set or directly related to new functionalities. It's the evolution or design improvements to MDL2 (which I wish they will just give a better unique name maybe like Neon?). It said to aim to have more solid guidelines, better animations, more refined and polished aesthetics. For developers, it will help them to create beautiful apps even with just stock looks.

I think it just happens to have Apple and Material Design feel into it because how they are all following the more minimalist flat design philosophy. It feels like Apple because of translucent blur which is also likely inspired from AERO from Windows Vista-7, the blur level based on the concept images and from Apple is more aggressive than AERO, thus the colours spread more and blends well with overall minimal design. Material Design personally, not so much at the moment based on the images we got so far since Material Design are generally more playful, colourful and have lively animations. Though Project NEON said to have more emphasis on animations which Material Design also does makes them related, even Metro have large emphasis on animations and kinetic motions that feels like the UI is alive and responsive.

What I'm really looking forward to Project NEON is to have a better overall user experience, which MDL2 at the moment is quite all-over-the-place. Hamburger menus for example doesn't have swiping from the left edge by default, and Groove Music implementation of it was bad, but 3rd-party apps like Windows Central manage have better implementation of swipe which is smoother and actually follows the finger.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)