iMessage equivalent on Windows

mcarioti

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
Dan,

When will there be an iMessage equivalent added to Windows that will be easily adopted by users? I was hoping Skype would provide a solution, but no dice. This would be the only thing holding me back from totally recommitting to Windows 10. iMessage on my laptop is too convenient for work purposes. Thanks.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
The imessage equivalent was the now defunct Rooms feature as it was baked with no sign up, it used to use the old live messenger back end.

However that has been replaced by GroupMe integration for this has been baked in however you do need to sign seperately.

From personal experience as most people use whatsapp, viber, line, imo and have been reluctant to use Groupme as that means another app they have to install on their phones to do what the other aforesaid apps do as well as signing up.

Skype in peoples minds is synomyous with video calling so they don't mind installing that; I'm aware that I'm over simplifying alot of things here but that is the gist of it.

Microsoft previously worked with the messaging everywhere feature and it worked pretty well as it would sync with your PC. However they removed it to work on something else... and I am not sure what their current plans are... other than Windows on ARM. Mobile centric features are alittle slow to come by these days.

I for really miss Rooms and having utilised it in a work environment... I can honestly say Microsoft really under pushed this golden feature.

Lych

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
There is Skype and basically any other messaging app that you prefer for desktop or mobile and some can even handle your texts. Pick one that works for you.
Most will never be as iMessage though, unless MS suddenly gets a ton of phone sales.
They did have that with messaging back on WP7.5 with the MSN backend. Those were the good days :D But then Skype happened and we were left in the dust for a long while. Things are getting better, but still way behind where the whole thing was years ago, which is rather sad.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo