Facebook now requires 2GB RAM, won't run on Lumia 640?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

My wife has a Lumia 640, purchased in 2015. The phone works fine, makes good photos, is easy to use.

But now she came to me complaining that the Facebook app refuses to work and refuses to update.

Windows Store indeed does ont install the app, referencing system requirements. And these requirements now include 2GB of RAM. The Lumia 640 only has 1GB of RAM.

New Windows phones are basically unavailable; if we change her phone it will have to be Android. But more importantly, I don't really want to change a perfectly working device yet. is there any way to resolve this?

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I assume the Lumia 640 is running Windows 10. The app works for me on my Lumia 650 (also with 1 GB RAM) without any warnings about system requirements.

The facebook app for Windows Phone 8.1 is no longer supported.

YoussifAbdElFattah

May 10, 2017
Visit site
same for me

I just reset my phone "lumia 640xl" to factory setting and after that i reinstalled facebook and it looked different than the one i had before the reset, seemed to be similar to the one on the PC and it has a system requirements of 2GB of RAM and my phone has only 1GB because of this, the app is crashing every time i start it till now with no solution.

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: same for me

I just reset my phone "lumia 640xl" to factory setting and after that i reinstalled facebook and it looked different than the one i had before the reset, seemed to be similar to the one on the PC and it has a system requirements of 2GB of RAM and my phone has only 1GB because of this, the app is crashing every time i start it till now with no solution.

That should not be the case. I know there is a 2 GB RAM requirement, but it does work on phones with less. The app is not optimised at all, but it's usable in short bursts.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
It's not recommended for 1gb phones. It will crash alot i had a 640 and 640 xl it would crash starting up at times and after finally opening it would crash after a minute or 2 of use.

After i upgraded to the Idol 4s with 4gb of ram, It works fine. It may have a hiccup or 2 launching sometimes but it rarely ever crashes

Sent from Idol 4s

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte