If I Buy a WP How Long Will I Have to Enjoy it?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I've had a Lumia 950 XL in the past and loved it. Left because of the app gap for a S7 Edge, although now I really don't like android. So I wish to return to Windows mobile, probably get a 950 XL again for the camera but thinking of an Elite X3.

To the point; if I purchased a Windows Phone now, how long would it have left? I ask because there is a lot of doom and gloom about WP at the moment, and although it is all unsubstantiated, it is convincing. I'm afraid if I bought a WP lets say tomorrow, then next month MS announce they're throwing in the towel and I've got a year tops with the phone being supported. Not good.

So I don't usually like speculation, BUT, if all the hype and speculation about WP being over is true, how long would you speculate users of WP have left before they stop receiving updates?

(In case you haven't noticed I'm a tight fisted ****** and I like to get my money's worth ;) )

Kind regards,

Freddy

BOSDown

Apr 26, 2017
Visit site
Hello,

I had the same question just a few days back, and after extensive research, I just placed an order for 950xl. No doubt. I believe! The more of us, the beter the platform will begin, plus while apple and google fight for the , arket today, MS is already looking a whole generation ahead! There will be blood, come ad join the underdog, beace we will prevail !

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Pessimistic Response: Several months.

More optimistic Response: A year or so.

Unrealistic Response: Beyond that. or onboard anything new Microsoft wants to try in the mobile space.

Now of course, even if updates stopped it'll be a while before core functionality breaks so you could go at least a few months after any Windows 10 Mobile death. And even if W10M continues in the background, soon your device will be cut off whether you like it or not.

davidewart

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your post - because I've been wondering about switching to the S8, but will now wait!

But as to your question. Right now, any W10M device purchase is a gamble. Personally, I'm gonna wait till it's clearer where the Windows-on-ARM is going.

Whatever "Mobile first" means, it does NOT mean "Windows 10 Mobile first - and only Windows 10 Mobile." It already means Android and iOS. I'm curious to see how the ARM iteration plays out.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I want to get a L950 purely as a stopgap while I wait for decent SD835 android phones to become available. Since FB Messenger has stopped working on my L920, it has been annoying me quite a bit. Current phones on the market aren't interesting me all that much, I want a great camera, for the price point, might as well stick with W10M for now, since it ticks most boxes, for now.

Only problem is, looks like enough other people in Australia want L950's as well, and they're difficult to get on ebay now, price has been going up for second hand ones, they're now going for the same price you could pick up new a few months ago...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans