Comment on Paul Thurrott's Tweet?

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
It's like this....if you own a company that sells pineapples, but only one out of every million people on the planet likes pineapples, you stop selling pineapples. MS is in the business to make money. They are not making any money in mobile, neither on the hardware nor the software side. W10M is their pineapple​ that nobody wants, and they're not going to reinvent the pineapple any time soon for consumers if they don't have apps and developers on board. There is absolutely no reason for them to keep going with it. Thurrott's and MJF's tweets are just stating the obvious. Even if a Surface Phone does arrive, it'll have no apps to go with it. It'll be a glorified X3 that will be out of a lot of people's price range. The last thing they need to do is make a pineapple that 90% of the potential owners won't be able to afford. It's sad, though, because I've always loved my Windows phones. MS was just a little too late in joining the game.

LumPhile

Dec 27, 2016
Visit site
It's like this....if you own a company that sells pineapples, but only one out of every million people on the planet likes pineapples, you stop selling pineapples. MS is in the business to make money. They are not making any money in mobile, neither on the hardware nor the software side. W10M is their pineapple​ that nobody wants, and they're not going to reinvent the pineapple any time soon for consumers if they don't have apps and developers on board. There is absolutely no reason for them to keep going with it. Thurrott's and MJF's tweets are just stating the obvious. Even if a Surface Phone does arrive, it'll have no apps to go with it. It'll be a glorified X3 that will be out of a lot of people's price range. The last thing they need to do is make a pineapple that 90% of the potential owners won't be able to afford. It's sad, though, because I've always loved my Windows phones. MS was just a little too late in joining the game.
Interesting but ultimately faulty analogy. MS is attempting to neutralise mobile division as a cost/profit center; but there's STRATEGIC value in maintaining an acceptable level of activity in the division: Ergo, mobile, in one form or the other, will be around for the foreseeable future

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I understand the strategy angle that you suggest. And I agree that they are in this weird holding pattern. However, from a consumer perspective, I don't know if their level of activity in mobile would be considered acceptable. I would go out on a limb here and guess that they are really struggling to find an acceptable, profitable, and relevant way to move forward with mobile. I mean, I bought my first Windows Phone in 2010. Seven years ago. That's a pretty long time to develop a plan. Just look at what Apple and Google have done in the same amount of time. Whatever MS decides to do, they need to do it quickly.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site

Hence the plan to unify the platform further with windows cloud, windows on arm, IoT core, scorpio and cshell, so that UWP (and also UWA, oft ignored but important) app development flourishes on mobile LTE devices with no need for smartphone marketshare.

People want windows on tablets and notebooks. Fastest growing catergory in PC is notebook. Fastest in tablet is windows. They want gaming consoles and gaming PCs. And in particular, as you point out, they want cheap tech too - hence windows on ARM/cloud.

Developers in particular want a "code once" platform that reaches many device catergories and hardware platforms.

Honestly all this surface phone talk is weird. The premium smartphone market is slowing, and all MS did was patent a few technologies. No one has ever said, at MS, nor has there been any credible leaks, that there will be a surface phone.

When the onecore and cshell, and windows across hardware platforms is properly fleshed out, when these ideas have had some actual market exposure, then we will be seeing what happens with mobile.

What MS is doing, has never been done. It has no true rival, and no historical point of comparison, in terms of the market. Logically it should play well. But its far too early to say, seeing most of it is still on its way.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro