What is the best laptop for developers?

OneWindows

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
As a hardcore Microsoft fan, Surface Book could have been my hand down choice. But believe it or not, I have never get my hands on one of those yet. Considering that professional demand, is Surface Book (2) a good choice? Or should I go for a more powerful option like a high end XPS?

abrichman

May 28, 2015
Visit site
OneWindows, I have basically the same question with my interest in what will be edge-bleeding in 2-3 years.

If you are just running up to a single VM and nothing compute intensive, I'd think you would be absolutely fine with a 7th gen i7 CPU with 16GB RAM. I run one hypervisor/guest at a time and Visual Studio or WebStorm on the guest with no issues on both a i5 2410M/8GB (VMware Workstation 12) and i5 4300U/8GB (Hyper-V) and usually node running on the host concurrently. This runs seamlessly. I don't know how much more load Eclipse/IntelliJ will eat up provided that's your ride but assume a modern CPU with 2x the power of mine and double the RAM would handle it without question.

I have been limiting my search to quad core because I run a goofy setup with two concurrent guests which I used to like to do with my beefier (quad core) work laptops. I have never been able to get my dual cores to reproduce that well. But if I did not care about that (and I probably shouldn't because it's really not necessary), I'd be all ALL over that Samsung Notebook 9 15" that Daniel reviewed recently (adding a bigger SSD on receipt). That's just MO and I am only weighing in because this has been on the front of my mind for months now and thought the data points might help.

Just one guy's opinion though so YMMV.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99