Can I transfer my SMS msgs from Andriod to WIndows 10 Mobile

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Hi :
I have been trying to find a way to copy my SMSs from an android phone to a windo10 mobile phone , I tried backing them into an XML file and restoring them on windows but this did not work.
Any ideas ?

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi :
I have been trying to find a way to copy my SMSs from an android phone to a windo10 mobile phone , I tried backing them into an XML file and restoring them on windows but this did not work.
Any ideas ?
Have you tried the contacts+message backup app (free)? It can backup and restore text messages in an XML format.

Of course the XML file has to use the markup the app expects. I have no idea if the XML file you created does.

Below is a sample SMS I saved (with phone number redacted). If the ones you backed up from your Android phone use the same markup names for various fields, it might work for you.

-<Message>
-<Recepients>
<string>+nnnnnnnnnnnn</string>
</Recepients>
<Body>Still on for this afternoon?</Body>
<IsIncoming>false</IsIncoming>
<IsRead>true</IsRead>
<Attachments/>
<LocalTimestamp>131063382356260000</LocalTimestamp>
<Sender/>
</Message>

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I've done this using Transfer My Data app. Worked perfectly.
OP should try that first since only would take a few minutes to try and easy if it works. I only tried it once with an iPhone and it didn't work but it would make sense if it did with Android. My car shows a list of and can access SMS from my Windows Phone without any special app on the phone so no reason one phone couldn't do the same to another without any app in the other phone.

ZMTM

May 5, 2017
Visit site
Hi :
Thanks for all the replies. the phone I am using is HP X3 running the lasts win 10 mobile build
I tried contact + backup app , it did not read the XML file I exported from my Android phone , I will have to check the format.
Transfer my data app does not work , I tried to download it and get a msg that it is not compatible with your device.
what is OP ?

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
I did this last year for my beautiful young bride. She has a dying galaxy s4. She hated the new android on my s6 so i bought her a used Lumia 640. I used SMS Backup on her phone and saved to the sd card. I then put the SD card in the Lumia and restored to the Lumia using Transfer My Data app.

Sent from mTalk

ZMTM

May 5, 2017
Visit site
I did this last year for my beautiful young bride. She has a dying galaxy s4. She hated the new android on my s6 so i bought her a used Lumia 640. I used SMS Backup on her phone and saved to the sd card. I then put the SD card in the Lumia and restored to the Lumia using Transfer My Data app.

Sent from mTalk

Hi :
Thanks
I tried doing this but I saved the files to Google Drive , and then downloaded it to the Phone and tried to do a restore , did not work

ZMTM

May 5, 2017
Visit site
There is also an app from Microsoft called Switch to WP available on the Play Store. I can't remember how it works, but OP could give that a try as well.
Hi :
Tried that too , you can either backup to OneDrive from the Android phone (did not work , got an error msg ) or connect through Wi-Fi through the hotspot on the android phone , again , no luck
My own theory now is that all of these apps were designed for Win 8/8.1 not Win 10 mobile , thoughts ?

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
If there is nothing easier you can still look at the formatting of the XML from the app in my 1st post and compare it to the XML from your Android backup. It might be practical to do a mass edit to make the Android backup acceptable for importing using that app.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos