If I remove a device from my Microsoft account, what happens?

skydiverian

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
I've had a look at the number of devices registered to my Microsoft account at https://account.microsoft.com/devices and have the following listed:

5x phones (OS installed ranges from from WP7.5 to WM10)
3x computers
1x Xbox One
1x Band 2

The band 2 will disappear soon as it's been sent off for a refund after it stopped charging.

However, I'm intending on adding at least one PC, possibly 2, to the list of devices - which will either max out or take me over the 10 device limit.

I'm currently in the US and all but one of my phones are not so I can't answer this myself but if I remove a phone from the list, what happens? Can I still use apps installed or would I have to reconnect it to my account? Any other problems that I might encounter?

Thanks

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
The limit of ten devices applies only to Windows 10 devices. So, for example, if one phone is on Windows Phone 7.5, that will not count towards your device limit.

To check the devices that currently do count against your limit, check your Download Devices.

skydiverian

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, worked out that hitting the "Manage Device Limits" option shows what counts and what doesn't.

Some interesting takeaways though in case anyone else has the same problem:

The phones I have still connected to my account are as follows (I'll ignore the 620 and Blu Win Jr that aren't connected):

Samsung Omnia 7 (7.5 Mango)
Lumia 920 (8, Lumia Black)
Lumia 630 (8.1, Lumia Cyan)
Lumia 830 (8.1, Lumia Denim)
Lumia 950 (10, 1703)

Interesting that the 830, though still on 8.1, is in that list of devices that count - I guess since it can be updated to Win 10.

Also found 2x computers that I removed from my account but were still listed in the Manage device Limits page - they've been removed.

Also, my Xbox One S does not count as a device.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss