Error 1401 - Cannot update windows

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Hi. After I got a Blue-Screen situation, I had to restart my laptop manually. Then after I boot windows, I cannot neither update my windows nor installing/updating any other software.

Today I tried to update my graphic card, I downloaded the auto detect from AMD website and it downloaded the setup and everything but it couldn't install the new driver due to this 1401 insufficient problem.

Looking forward to having your kind help :)

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to Windows Central! Don't hesitate to sign up so you can reply back to us if needed.

:
Edited: Which Windows version are you running?
If running Windows 10 go with what @davidhk129 said, as it's a great solution, and it likely will fix the problem.
:

Hmm... you are unable to install any Windows Updates after the Blue Screen? That's an interesting one...

For the graphics card drivers, can you uninstall the current drivers and try to reinstall them or the updates version?

Was you PC in the middle of a update while getting the Blue Screen? This may have caused some problem since some updates may have installed while some updates may not have installed (causing an error).

I'll look around and see if I can find more information about this.

Last edited:

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi. After I got a Blue-Screen situation, I had to restart my laptop manually. Then after I boot windows, I cannot neither update my windows nor installing/updating any other software.

Today I tried to update my graphic card, I downloaded the auto detect from AMD website and it downloaded the setup and everything but it couldn't install the new driver due to this 1401 insufficient problem.

Looking forward to having your kind help :)

My suggestion : Do a Repair Install.

Use this Media Creation Tool :
www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

( Link edited to show the real address of MCT ).

Click the Download Tool now button and RUN it.
Select Create installation media for another PC.
Select the Language, Edition and Bit-version your Win 10 is now using.
Select ISO File option.

That will begin downloading the iso file to your computer.
When download is completed, RIGHT click at the iso file > click Mount > click Setup (or setup.exe).

Installation will begin.
No product key is required.
You can keep your files, settings and apps.
Activation is automatic.

When dust is settled, you might want to burn the iso file to a bootable media (DVD or USB). It will be useful for reinstall in the future.

Last edited:

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
General computers problem solving tip! When you get an error message, write down the exact message (or copy and paste it IF you can, usually you can't), and then do a google search of that message. Often you will find multiple results of people who have had the same or similar issues and got that same error message. READ those pages often you can find possible solutions!

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

We'd love to hear back if the Repair Install helped.

If it didn't please give us more details to help focus our efforts...

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Question :
In my post #3 , I copy/paste the link to Media Creation Tool.
Instead of the link appears like this....
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...Fsoftware-download%2Fwindows10&token=pACI9Eds

It appears like this.....http://forums.windowscentral.com/e?l...token=VnVskCao

Why is that ?
I tried to change it several times, it ended up with forums.windowscentral.

No clue, I notice this sometimes when I post links but I won't mind it too much if the link works.

All it does is redirect you back to the correct website.

Sina Mousavi

May 12, 2017
Visit site
@Josiah23
Hi I asked this question. I'm using Windows 7 SP1. No I wasn't in the middle of updating/installing anything. What happened was that I try to plug out the Lan cable to get my wireless connection. The moment I plugged it out it went to Blue Screen.
Now not only I cannot update anything, but for some strange reason no setting can be saved in the windows. FireFox always asked me to be my default browser which is already is and doesn't matter how many times I set it to be my default browser, the next time I open FF it asks the same question. The same situation for sorting my folder, I always have to set them to be sorted by "Data Modified" and the next time I open my File Explorer I need to do the same. I'd say some services would have got off. For instance "Windows Installer" service is off and when I try to start it it just show the error "1401 insufficient *something...*"

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
@Josiah23
Hi I asked this question. I'm using Windows 7 SP1. No I wasn't in the middle of updating/installing anything. What happened was that I try to plug out the Lan cable to get my wireless connection. The moment I plugged it out it went to Blue Screen.
Now not only I cannot update anything, but for some strange reason no setting can be saved in the windows. FireFox always asked me to be my default browser which is already is and doesn't matter how many times I set it to be my default browser, the next time I open FF it asks the same question. The same situation for sorting my folder, I always have to set them to be sorted by "Data Modified" and the next time I open my File Explorer I need to do the same. I'd say some services would have got off. For instance "Windows Installer" service is off and when I try to start it it just show the error "1401 insufficient *something...*"
@Sina Mousavi
That is the strangest thing I've ever seen...

So all you did was unplug the Ehernet cable to use wifi instead?

To me, it seems like doing this somehow broke some of your Windows Installation and that there also maybe something up with the motherboard itself...

My PC use to act up and reset itself when I plugged in my iPhone.

Since you have Windows 7 the W10 creation tool won't work unless you want Windows 10.

Can you install anything at all? If so try to install "magical jelly key finder" to find your product key.

Edited: @davidhk129

The user has Windows 7 SP1

Last edited:

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
FYI this is Windows 10 forum.
Your question is for Windows 7.
Disregard my reply as it will not apply to you.

Please next time you post, specify the operating system you are using.
Thank you.

Windows 10 forum? I'm sorry @davidhk129 but Windows Central is for Everything Microsoft.

Windows XP - Windows 10 and every Windows Phone OS are all allowed here.

The user specified which OS he was using in his previous reply to my post.

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
The OP does NOT specify at the very beginning.
My reply is post #3 .
He did not say so until post #8 .

Error 1401 is a permission error usually found in Windows XP - Windows 7, so I assumed from the beginning that he was using Windows 7 (since XP is outdated and nobody uses Vista anymore)

Something must have happened to his Motherboard while unplugging the Ethernet cable. A defect maybe?

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Windows 10 forum? I'm sorry @davidhk129 but Windows Central is for Everything Microsoft.

Windows XP - Windows 10 and every Windows Phone OS are all allowed here.

The user specified which OS he was using in his previous reply to my post.

I see Windows 8 forum.
I don't see Windows XP nor Windows 7 forum on the list.

I have no objection answering questions of other Windows editions as long as I know which edition I am dealing with right off the bat.

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
I see Windows 8 forum.
I don't see Windows XP nor Windows 7 forum on the list.

I have no objection answering questions of other Windows editions as long as I know which edition I am dealing with right off the bat.

@davidhk129
Under "Desktop PC" , then go to "General Desktop PC discussion" that is where every desktop OS can be posted (including XP and Vista). We do have separate hubs for Windows 10 itself but anything PC related goes to where I said.

:
Edited - in that section of the forums, there are no specific spot for a specific OS, so it's free posting there
:

When dealing with such problem, I usually ask the OP which version of Windows they have installed off the bat to know how to help them a bit better...
All is good though, we figured it out and it shouldn't be to hard to tackle.

Last edited:

Sina Mousavi

May 12, 2017
Visit site
@Josiah23
I'm trying to quote you, couldn't find any way. Actually I just download the Jelly software you just mentioned but when I try to install it an error appears saying : "RegCreateKeyEx failed; code 1450, Insufficient system resources"!
Kinda the same as when I try to start the Windows Installer service.
////
@davidhk129
I should totally have done that at the first place, completely unfocused by the situation.

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
@Josiah23
I'm trying to quote you, couldn't find any way. Actually I just download the Jelly software you just mentioned but when I try to install it an error appears saying : "RegCreateKeyEx failed; code 1450, Insufficient system resources"!
Kinda the same as when I try to start the Windows Installer service.
////
@davidhk129
I should totally have done that at the first place, completely unfocused by the situation.

Are you trying to quote me using the app or browser version of the forums?

Both are fairly easy to do. For the app just tap on my (or anyone's post) and tap quote.
For the browser version, there should be a quote button under every post and it'll quote the entire post.

You can also keep using the @(username) since I receive a notification when people quote me or use the @Josiah23

The only thing I can think of is to contact Microsoft to have them get your product key and go here to reinstall Windows 7
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...2Fsoftware-download%2Fwindows7&token=wv_8tgr7

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
The only thing I can think of is to contact Microsoft to have them get your product key and go here to reinstall Windows 7
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...2Fsoftware-download%2Fwindows7&token=49dj9wka

That Win 7 iso download link is good ONLY for if the Win 7 is a Retail version.
Pre-installed Win 7 is not applicable.

When one uses that link, the first thing one has to do is to enter the Win 7 product key.
If the key is a pre-install key, it will reject it and one cannot go forward.

I know that as a fact, as I had done that with my pre-install key. It was rejected.

That is why I asked the OP if his Win 7 is pre-installed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077