laptop super slow since last windows update

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

the laptop is a low end Lenovo G50-30. with a Celeron N3530 @2.16Ghz with 4gb of ram. there is not a lot of programs or other stuff plugging it up. i mostly use it for email and surfing. it takes a whopping 4 minutes and 7.6 seconds from the time i press the power button, until it completely boots up. while this has never been a rocket ship, this is like chaining a naval destroyer to a 1964 Volkswagen Beetle. i just now looked at my windows update history, and its not showing the last big update (founders? or something like that) that it said did successfully install 4 or 5 days ago. i am thinking that if its not showing that the last update is installed, maybe something went wrong during or immediately after it did. i did run anti-virus and malware software hoping to pick something up. but no luck. i am not really sure what to do at this point. this computer came with Windows 8.1 installed in it. and it automatically updated to windows 10 a few months after i got it. this is the first real issue i have had with 10. i looked into doing a system restore, but it said something about it being a one time thing, and if i needed to do it again, it would set it back to an older operating system. and i don't want that. suggestions PLEASE!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I would first try to see if Optimize Disks does anything to help.

If not, I would run "sfc /scannow" in an administrator Command Prompt window. (if you look it up, you'll see its a system file integrity checker, worth trying)

zinoub

May 31, 2017
Visit site
The best way to figure this issue out, quickly, is by taking a boot trace using the free Microsoft troubleshooting tool (Windows Performance Toolkit) https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/windows-assessment-deployment-kit
Here is a tutorial on how to take a boot trace. https://zinetek.wordpress.com/2015/12/16/how-to-use-wpr-to-record-boot-sequence/
I can analyze it for you, and there is a big chances we can find exactly what is causing this issue.. I'm a system administrator and I use this tool every time when I encounter Windows Perfomance issue, it's very powerfull.

jacquesvan

May 27, 2015
Visit site
Had the same problem after every Windows update on my HP X360. Figured out it is the "HP support assistant" utility getting added to the startup every time. In Task Manager it shows 100% CPU usage after every update.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077